Chapter 2: The Now Important Person

The second after I take one step into the Hawthorne's reception room, I already want to leave. I go to these so many times and I'm starting to get an idea of why this family hold so many of these events.

My theory is that Gale organises them to give him an opportunity for me to become his girl. My mother must be on this as well as she insists that I should date Gale. But that is never to happen.

The room is already filled with colourful gowns and black suits. I awkwardly walk to the side of the room and sit on the black sest, I always seem to find bare. I always immediately come and sit here and wait the evening out.

This is a place where I don't fit. At all. I don't want to be here and everyone seems to glance at me like I'm wounded and doesn't bother to come exchange a little conversation. Although I don't want to have one. I shrink back into the seat and my grasp tigthens on my clutch.

Boys come by and ask me for a dance. Gale comes and asks many times but I wave him off like all the rest. Time goes by slowly, another second of my life ticking by just waiting for this night to end.

My eyes train on the black material of my dress. I focus on the dress and nothing else around me, it might speed up time.

"You've been sitting there all night." I hear an unfamiliar voice speak up. I notice a shadow cover me but I don't bother to look up.

"Well, I was basically forced to come here. If you're asking for a dance I think you -" I look and abruptly stop speaking at the sight of this boy. Dressed in navy instead of the now boring black. Blonde hair being illuminated by the lights behind. I can make out his eyes. A dazzling light blue. I stare at him in a trace.

"-should think about accepting?" He finishes my never complete sentence and extends his hand towards me.

I snap out of my gaze at the sound of his voice. "Oh sorry. Yes." I place my clutch on the side table beside me before placing my hand in his.

His hand brings goosebumps even though I'm not cold. I love the feel of warmth and he brings this.

He leads me towards the centre of the room where everyone else is gathered, dancing in partners. Skirts swirling and their wearers turn and smiles on everyone's faces as they move in time to the classical music. He brings me round and I slowly face him, I don't look into his eyes.

His free hand goes to lie at my waist and mine rests on his shoulder. As soon as we are ready, he starts moving in time with the beat. I just follow his lead as I don't know how to dance really.
We stay silent for a while but he decides to break it. "You're beautiful." He comments and I blush.

"Thank you. Not many people compliment me about how I look."

"Yes you do look beautiful tonight as well." He says with a chuckle and I give into look up into his eyes, confused.

"You just complimented me about my general appearance?"

"I believe so." He replies and smiles. I smile in return.

"You're not too bad yourself. For first impressions." I say and look down embarrassed.

He quietly laughs at my comment. "Thank you." I look back up at him and see something in his eyes I don't normally see. Is it love? I don't know.

"Katniss!" I turn my head back at the sound of my friend Madge Undersee's voice. I notice her in her peach pink gown. I smile and look to her face. Shocked. Mouth dropped open. I become confused and in second she runs to us and I can hear her heels clicking against the ground.

She rips me from the boys embrace and drags me away. I take a second long glance back at the shock struck boy. No goodbye. I don't even have a name to call this now important person.