Chapter 14: Not So Much A Happy New Year

My three other family members clap along with me as we watch the New Year fireworks that kicked off 5 minutes ago.

New year, hopefully a better year. It might not be the case though.

5 minutes now into the new year, 5 minutes I wish I could spend with Peeta.

Fireworks I suppose lighten up your mood. I do enjoy watching them in the sky. All their colour that come after the loud explosions. It's quite a sight. But I can't enjoy it, not with Peeta consuming my mind.

I frown when the thought of him comes back into my mind. I glance to everyone else and see they are all focused on the show in the sky before them.

I slowly move sideways and place myself to the side of the balcony unoccupied. I lean against the marble and gaze at the dark world, in the distance small fireworks lighting up the black sky.

I sigh and look down to my fingers that I never realised were interlacing with each other.

"How I want you right now." I mutter to a unseen Peeta. I feel my phone buzz in my jean pocket. I look down and slide it out of my pocket. I unlock my phone and see its from Peeta.

'See you in 10 ❤' I smile as I read it and slowly comes a grin. He answered my plead.

"Katniss?" I hear my father ask and I turn to them after locking my phone.

"Yes."

"We're going in." He states.

"Okay. I'm going to be out for just a bit longer." I answer and my parents bid me goodnight. I walk up to Prim and engulf her in a hug. "Night Prim. Happy New Year." I say and Prim replies speaking the same words before walking inside.

I walk back to the front of the balcony and sit on the wide railing. I look onto the horizon and try to make out his silhouette when he enters the grounds.

I start to squint when I see a figure walking this way. But that's when I notice that the figure starts running.

I quickly glance back towards the bedroom before turning around. I start heading back inside. I walk quickly out of the room and down the stairs. I make it to the door and exit through it slowly and quietly.

Once I know no one has noticed me I break into a run with a smile on my face towards the figure.
First I see his blonde hair and then the blue eyes that he owns. "Peeta." I exasperate and slam into his embrace.

I encircle my arms around Peeta's neck and his come around my waist. Peeta spins me around and I wrap my legs around his. I laugh and we share many kisses.

"Happy New Year." We both state to each other through the kisses and then lean our foreheads against each other when we break.

"I love you." I repeat over and over with the biggest smile on my face.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO WHEN IT BECOMES 2015 FOR YOU OR IF IT ALREADY HAS!