Chapter 22: The Observer

I carefully place my trinkets from Peeta in a secret drawer in my dresser. I smile at the gifts he has given me and I pick up the necklace he got me for Christmas 6 months ago.

"I saw you escaping with Peeta last week." a voice suddenly says. I shriek and quickly turn round, hoping to not be seeing my mother. I'm glad I don't jam my fingers in the drawer.

I sigh when I see the figure clearly. "Oh it's just you Poppy." I exasperate and close the drawer after placing my necklace back in.

"Sorry that I freaked you out." Poppy apologizes and I look into the mirror to see her beside me.

"It's okay. I though it was mother." I reply and we exchange a small smile. There is a small pause before Poppy speaks up.

"I was going to bring it up earlier but I didn't think it was right. How long have you two been going out now?" She questions.

"8 months now." I answer and raise my eyebrows. Time has flown by fast.

"8 months and he still hasn't made a move?" Poppy adds and I roll my eyes.

"I'm not expecting him to make a move. With our parents still rivaling we couldn't be even close to married." I state and braid my hair into its usual.

"You don't know that, he just might. You love each other so much that you sneak out just to be together. That is some love." I chuckle at Poppy's mini rant.

"I wish there was no rivalry. Life would be a tad bit easier." I sigh and Poppy sadly smiles at me.

"I do too, for your sake." I smile and turn towards her. My phone lights up beside me and I check to see a message from Peeta.

' Hey Kat, I love you so much. ' I smile. I can't believe he wasted a text message just telling me that he loves me. I unlock my phone and go to type a reply.

' I love you too baby. I want to see you. ' I press send and hear Poppy giggle. I turn around and glare at her.

"You don't interfere." I say and turn back to my phone. Peeta has quickly replied back.

' I do too. Meet me at the lake at 8 tonight? '

"Poppy, anything happening tonight?" I look up to her and she shakes her head in a no. I look back down to my phone and agree to meeting him.

' Great! Kat, wear something pretty okay? ' I raise an eyebrow at the thought of why he's asking me this.

' Okay.. ' I can imagine Peeta chuckling at my text.

' See you tonight then. Love you to bits! ' He finally says and I smile wider.

' Love you too bits too. '

Sorry for not updating for a few days and a quick shoutout to mockingjaykid-12