Chapter 24: Well Again

Katniss,
I have a sentence made up of four words I am dying to say to you and only you.
I love you Katniss. I can't imagine living without you.
So Kat, turn around and let your ears listen to my next words.

I smile and look towards Peeta. I am overcome with shock and tears start flowing in an instant.

"Peeta." I exasperate and take in the sight.

Him. Beside me. On one knee.

"Katniss Lauren Everdeen." He starts. "8 months. 8 amazing months. That I've been able to spend with the amazing you." I try to hold in the sobs collecting up in my throat.

"I can't put into words how much I love you. It's indescribable. You have brought a silver lining to my life." I smile at him and he smiles back.

"Where ever this rivalry will lead us, always know that I will follow you. If you go, I will go with you. If you are forced to be locked away from the work, just remember I'll be right beside you. Nothing will separate us. Nothing." He looks down and places his hand in his pocket.

He pulls his hand out once again to reveal a black box. "So Katniss..." He opens the box and my hand flies to my mouth.

"Peeta," Is all I can say. A simple diamond ring lies on the fabric in the box.

"Will you make me the happiest man alive - " He starts and my eyes travel from the box to his eyes. " - and marry me?" He finishes.

Should I? This is life changing. I am risking our live for this. I see Peeta's eyes slightly sadden when I don't reply immidiately. Making up my mind I smile and start sobbing.

"Yes." I state and his eyes brighten. "Yes! Of course Peeta!" I exclaim and hold my hand out, he slips the ring onto my ring finger.

I attack him with a hug and bury my head into his shoulder. My hands run up to grasp his hair and he pulls me closer to his body with arms around me.

I take my head away from his shoulder to look at him. I see tears forming in his eyes and I know we are both showing each other wide smiles. I laugh and we share a long passionate kiss.

When we separate I look down to admire my engagement ring. "Peeta, it's beautiful." I comment and Peeta gently places my left hand in his.

"But not as beautiful as my fiancée." Peeta states and I chuckle.

"You and your words." I say and give him another quick kiss. I snuggle into Peeta's chest, my arms still around his body. "I love you Peeta." I add and Peeta kisses my head.

"I love you too - " He starts. " - and thank you for becoming my future wife.' I smile at the word wife and we both turn to look onto the lake still glowing with lights.

Taking in the fact that we, Peeta Mellark and Katniss Everdeen are engaged. Even though our families have a rival which we hope is about to break.