Chapter 21: Their Success

I keep my head down as we enter the town. I entwine our hands, slightly scared someone will catch us and that's it. We're done. Peeta gives our hands a reassuring squeeze and I feel him kiss my head. I smile and we continue our walk. Peeta keeps his head up, but he needs to see where we're going so it makes sense.

I can make out whispers and murmurs of people surrounding us and we walk past. "I never knew Peeta Mellark had a girl!" and "Who's she?" Were a couple of queries I could make out among the many that we're being spoken.

I press myself closer to Peeta, getting more nervous than I already was. His hands slips from mine and I tense up. My muscles relax when I feel his hand scale up my back and rest against my shoulder.

"Nearly there." Peeta whispers into my ear and I nod in reply.

I hear clicks. A white flash suddenly engulfs my vision and I shoot my head up, knowing what it is. I gasp and stop moving. I hear another click from the camera and cover my face with my hands, holding in the sobs.

I feel Peeta turn to face me. "Kat." He whispers, nearly in audible. His left touches my cheek and his right fingers stroke my other cheek. I don't remove my hands.

"It's okay. I'm here. They won't find out." He murmurs and I shake my head in disagreement.

"They will." I whisper and Peeta pulls me into his embrace. He buries my head into the crook of his neck and I keep my face away from any view.

I feel Peeta bend to grab my legs and he picks me up. "Just keep your face hidden okay sweetie?" Peeta suggests.

"Okay." I reply and sniff. Peeta starts walking again and he kisses my head to calm me.

"Excuse me please." He repeats, probably trying to get through the many people that crowded around us. I hear Peeta sigh in relief as the world becomes quieter once again minutes later.

"It's okay. I've gone the back way. No one is around." Peeta reassures me and I uncover my face from the world. I look around cautiously and we approach steps leading to a building. Peeta walks up these steps and I know where we are. The bakery.

He stands me up before opening the door and gesturing me in. I walk in and immediately I release quiet sobs. Peeta closes the door and hugs me from behind as I look around I'm guessing the Kitchen.

"They're going to find out Peeta. One look at the newspaper front cover and thats it!" I exclaim and sob louder. I lean my head back against his shoulder and close my eyes.

"Sshh." He calmingly whispers and sways us, another way to calm to down. His voice and movement calm me, like each time.

My head shoots up in fear as I hear feet walking down wooden stairs. "It's okay Kat. It's just my brothers." Peeta states and kisses my temple. Two boys, both older than Peeta, approach us and look me up and down.

"So this is the girl you keep sneaking out to see?" The older blonde one jokes. Peeta chuckles and I see him blush. "Rye Mellark. Peeta's oldest brother." He introduces himself, holding out his hand. We shake hands.

"Katniss Everdeen." I say and look to Peeta's arms encircled around my waist.

"James Mellark. Peeta's other brother." The brunette brother introduces and we shake hands.

"Katniss." I simply say to him and I feel Peeta smile.

"Why are we enemies? She's so hot. Why would we hate her?" Rye jokes and I blush.

"She's mine so back off." Peeta protests. James and Rye laugh.

"Okay Mr. Protective pants." Rye adds. Peeta kisses my neck, making sure they get the point that I'm his. I smirk before turning around in his embrace and sharing a long kiss.

"Okay! Okay! We'll go back upstairs. Kitchen all yours!" James exclaims and we break apart as we hear them run up the stairs. Peeta and I laugh before he wipes my cheeks.

"The bakery is closed right now so I'll show you out the front." Peeta says and he leads me to a door at one end of the room. He opens it and we exit the kitchen.

He heads behind the counter and I go to the front to admire everything on the stands. Everything is iced with detail and is made carefully.

I see Peeta pull out a muffin from one tray. He smirks and closes the door closing the case from all hands. He walks round to me and rips a small section of the top off. He smiles and gestures for me to open my mouth. I chuckle and open it before he places the chunk in mouth. I chew and instantly flavours I love fill my mouth. I moan in delight and Peeta laughs. I swallow before speaking.

"What!? I love it!" I say before letting him return to serious. "Blueberry?" I ask and he nods. He hands it to me and I take another bite of it. I smile before feeding him a piece.

Peeta sits down at a table and I sit on his lap. Eating the muffin and loving each other through words and small gestures.