Chapter 1: Anywhere Else?

DISCLAIMER: I do not own the Hunger Games characters or place names! All rights go to Suzanne Collins!

I'm Katniss Lauren Everdeen. 17 years old.

Living the life I was meant for? I don't know, doesn't feel like it. There's always a point in my day where I feel that I'm not meant to be here.

"Katniss Lauren Everdeen! You need to be getting ready for the dance tonight. I feel as though you aren't." I roll my eyes at my mothers demand and sit up on my comfortable bed.

Standing up, eventually, I walk over to my wardrobe.  natural insticts open the cream doors and my eyes start searching for a dress for tonight.

Quite reguarly the Hawthorne family, who are pretty much as rich as my family is, host dances for the rich families of Panem's Distrcit 12. I think that their oldest son Gale requests them so he can find himself a girl. Not suprising.

I hate going to these things so much but mother expects me to go or she'll do something I'll absolutely dread. Sometimes I really do feel that if I was to leave the world tonight, no one would care and notice.

My eyes land on a black v-neck dress. It's simple design has sequin covered shoulders so my mother will be pleased. (Photo of the dress to the side)

I stretch my hand in and take the coat hanger off the rail. I lie it on my arm before walking carefully into the bathroom. I enter my bathroom and start preparing for this evening.

After a shower, I place on some simple black ballet flats, since heels don't seem to like me at times. I then take the dress and slip into it with ease. I walk out of the bathroom and am met by the sight of my 13 year old sister Primrose.

"Hey Prim. Could you zip the back up?" I greet and ask my sister who enthusiastically nods. He jumps up and zips up the dress from behind. "Thanks little duck." I thank once it's done.

"Katniss, I told you to stop calling me that." She whines and pouts.

"And I said I don't have to stop." I retort with a chuckle. "Now it's your turn to finish getting me ready." I add before she could say anything else and sit down on the bed.

Prim has amazing hairstyling skills which I don't really posses so I let her do it. Prim goes ahead and starts curling the ends of my brown locks.

IN 8 minutes she's finished and I apply black eye shadow to my eyelids and lip gloss to my lips. When I'm all ready I turn towards my window and see the now setting sun. I sigh and look at Prim behind me in the mirror. 

"You're so lucky, You don't have to go." I state and grasp my clutch in my hands, knowing I'll be met by the screaming of my mother saying that we are leaving any minute now.

"Katniss!!' I hear my mother screech behind the closed door.

"Coming!" I shout back. "See you later Prim." I say and kiss her head before leaving my room. I walk down the marble steps inside the house and meet up with my mother and father.

My mother just looks at me for a second before exiting through the door, looking slightly disgusted. I frown and look down at my feet.

"You look beautiful Katniss." My father says and I feel him stroke my hair. I look up and we exchange smiles before we both head out into the warm summer evening.