Chapter 23: Perfect

Sparks of warmth ignite when my hand slips into Peeta's but his hand doesn't stay with my mine. Instead, his hands slides up my back to rest on my shoulder. He leans his head forward and tilts it to kiss me.

My eyes close as his lips make contact with mine. It only last a coupke of seconds as he decides to pull away. I look into his eyes and see happiness yet nervousness.

"Are you okay?" I ask and stroke his cheek.

"Y- yeah. Yeah. I'm fine." He states and I mumble an okay. "Let's go." He adds and we start walking towards the woods.

Silence lingers in between us which is unusual. Peeta is usually alive with conversation. 

"You look lovely tonight Kat." Peeta comments and I look alway blushing.

"Thank you." I reply and smile. Guess I picked the right thing. Wearing one of my favourite dresses, it doesn't reflect the negative things that fill my life. It shows the positive, shown by cherry blossoms which Peeta knows is my favourite flower.

Minutes later I notice Peeta's hand is shaking against my shoulder. "Peeta." I seriously say and make him stop. He turns to face me, sligthly concerned. "Are you sure you're alright? You don't seem like yourself." I gently ask again.

"Kat don't worry, I'm fine. Perfectly fine." He states and kisses my forehead. We continue towards the lake and it slowly decides to become darker by the minute.

But I see something in front of me that makes the world seem brighter. I squint to check I am seeing things right. I see Peeta smirk in the corner of my eye and I look towards him. He turns to look at me and laughs.

"What!?" He exclaims and I roll my eyes and face back. I gasp when I see it clearer and cover my mouth with my hands. I stop in my tracks and I feel Peeta's hand leave me. Cherry blossom petals and candles illuminating the lake beyond the wall of trees I have yet to pass.

I look towards Peeta and he smiles widely. He extends his hand towards me once again. "Come on Kat." He encourages and I place my hand in his, still amazed by the sight before me. Peeta slowly walks into it and I can't put the sight and my emotion into words.

He pulls me towards the edge of the lake. Reaching it, I get on my knees to reach out towards a blossom close the the edge. I gently pick it up and place it in the palm of my right hand. I gaze at it smiling.

"Kat?" Peeta asks and my head shoots up towards him. In his hand a rolled up piece of parchment paper. I place the blossom back into the water before looking at him again.

I slowly remove the parchment paper from his hand, however keeping my gaze on his eyes in confusion.