36.

Smoke never rises without fire

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Astrid's heartbeat was loud enough for her to heard and her palms were sweating as she pulled on her ring finger. She didn't say anything and waited for Draco to elaborate.
"She was locked up in our manor. I don't know for how long. She was trying to escape.."

Draco heard urgent footsteps just outside his bedroom. It was about three in the morning and the boy couldn't sleep. His mind was racing with the image of Dumbledore falling off the tower.
He stood up and walked outside to see who it was but couldn't see anyone.
Walking further out, the boy looked around for any signs of his father or mother. Still no one.
Suddenly, an arm wrapped around his mouth and a wand pointed to his neck.
"If you even dare to squeak, I'll kill you" a female voice came from behind him.
Draco tried hard to break free from her grip but was unsuccessful.
"Tell me where the exit is" she said and Draco panicked. He didn't answer and kept struggling to get out.
"Tell me!" She whisper-shouted. Draco was starting to give up on breaking free. He thought he was going to die then and there. Maybe it was a payback for attempting to kill Albus Dumbledore, maybe it was a payback for not being able to kill Albus Dumbledore.
"Look, I don't want to hurt you, so let me get out of here and you'll never see me again" She had said. "I can kill you just by looking at you, I'm powerful and not afraid of you, you don't want to get on my bad side" Draco frantically nodded and the girl reluctantly removed her hand from his mouth.
"Who are you?" He asked in whispers.
"Tell me where I can leave from"
"Are you Verena?" Draco asked remembering Astrid's words.
"How do you know me?" She asked not letting go of his neck.
"I'll help you escape but you have to tell me where you intend to go" Draco was good at making deals, he had learned how to be a little manipulative because of his father.
"You'll hunt me down again then"
"If I wanted to hunt you down, I wouldn't have let you go" He said with confidence.
"Take me to the door and I'll tell you when we're there" she said loosening her grip on him.
Draco started walking towards the back door of the house and Verena followed him silently. He was sure that she was ready to hex him if he even twitched a little.
"This door only recognizes my wand, if you try to open it with yours, they'll know. Tell me where you're going to go and I'll open it for you" Draco stood tall in front of that door.
"I'm going to Dumbledore" she said and Draco's breath hitched in his throat. His body froze and his mind played that scene in his head over and over again.
"He's.....dead" the boy said clenching his jaw.
Verena seemed unfazed but Draco knew it affected.
Taking notice of Draco's body language, Verena was quick to move and opened the door with his wand but Draco didn't move.
"I'll find his best Auror then" With that Verena dropped his wand to the floor and ran out.

"His best Auror? That does narrow it down but to a lot of people" Astrid said. "Thank you. I owe you"
She stood up to leave, "my offer still stands. I'll protect you"
Draco shook his head. Astrid took his had and squeezed it comfortingly before apparating out of the place.