Ch. 2 - Rubellites (2)

"That blasted wench... Living behind not just one– But two."

The sole individuals in the forest silently stared at each other for a while

The sole individuals in the forest silently stared at each other for a while. Winds blew through their similarly colored locks.

Some fishes swam away when they acknowledged Claude's overbearing demeanor. Due to their actions, water splashed to the ground.

"What is Mister doing here?" The child asks in a carefree manner, a finger playing with the dirt. "The forest is usually overlooked and ignored, but Mister entered it. I wonder why," he claims, a gleam in his plain pink eyes.

Claude's jeweled ones bore lethargy in them, a brow raised at the child's words. "Then what are you doing here?" He implores, the child laughing at his query.

"Hahaha~! You answered my question with a question," the child pointed the obvious, making Claude feel a bit dissatisfied.

The child wiped a stray tear after his fit of laughter, sitting down on his butt, not bothered by the dirt.

"Well, to answer Mister's question, I'm just playing around," he responds, a hand gesturing to the writings on the ground.

"Playing around?" Claude asks for confirmation, a nod from the child countering him. "Hmm... Yet why are you here playing alone?" He raised a question once again, the child's smile faltering a bit. "Are you the so-called outcast of a town?"

The child huffed at this, crossing his arms while his cheeks puffed out. "No, I'm not!" He proclaims, staggering to his feet.

A finger was then directed at Claude, the latter amused at the child's reaction. "I'm just bored with how the others play, so I went alone!"

"Is that all?" Claude seemed to interrogate teasingly. The child reminds him of the small number of times Athanasia would get frustrated at things he did or said.

The child nodded furiously at this. This made Claude wonder if his head would roll done the ground if he shook his head too much. No matter how morbid it sounds, he really was curious.

"That's all!" His exclamation earns him a subtle smirk from Claude, not that the child perceived since he was still indignant.

Everything seemed to calm down after that. The child walks towards a tree stump, plopping himself down with a sigh.

His pink eyes glanced towards Claude, the man still standing alone near the stream.

"Hey, Mister, are you here to kidnap me?" The child suddenly asks, interesting Claude striding closer.

"And why would you think that?" Claude solicits, leaning against a tree that shook a bit at his weight. "Is there something or someone after you? An ordinary child?" Claude questions further, unconsciously feeling more relaxed than the tense form he had in the meeting.