Ch. 45 - Justifications in Actions: their dawn (3)

"My name will forever be with me. Even if death may part me from it, I shall choose to never give it up. For it connects me to my precious people... And I never want to leave them."

Jennette once again pats her straightened hair, securing the red ribbon with her fingers quivering in anxiety

Jennette once again pats her straightened hair, securing the red ribbon with her fingers quivering in anxiety. She retracts her hand, evening her breaths.

"Your Highness is undeniably beautiful!" Ann hails with a sugary tone. "I'm positive your Highness is better than the First Princess!" The orange head adds while clapping her hands, watching on the sidelines.

If it was the past Jennette, she would have ignored such provocations. Only lightly scolding Ann, yet giggling at the same time. But now, she isn't lenient as before.

Jennette's soft gaze becomes cold, her jeweled blue eyes darting to Ann. Her diamonds scowls at the maid, gleaming with a dangerous light.

"Don't insult Athanasia when I'm here, Ann," the Princess prompts with a frigid tone.

Jennette turns on her feet, gritting her teeth while clenching her fists. Even Ann provoked the shadow, growling lethal obscenities behind her as they bare their fangs.

"I will not tolerate such insolence to my sister."

Ann senses imminent danger, posture freezing under her Lady's jeweled glare. Ann feels the cold sweat on her back, instinctively lowering her head under the pressure Jennette emits.

"I-i understand, your Highness," the orange head stutters out. Ann's heart races as fragile terror sprouts in it, pounding against her chest at a frightening speed.

Ann could only regret her words, Jennette's ominous reticence stabbing her ears. The orange head expects her Lady to pardon her blunder. After all, her Lady is kind—merciful, like Mother Teresa, right?

Jennette is forgiving, a Holy light illuminating her ever since she's been a child. What's more, Jennette even gifted Ann some jewelry once before. Made out of pure gold, a maid of her status could never have gotten her hands on them.

But Ann has long crossed the line.

The brunette could look through Ann's lie, comprehending how the maid would not learn her lesson. Jennette envisions Ann would merely curse when she's not present, making a fuss to satisfy her greed regardless of her warning.

If so, Jennette has no need for incompetent servants. Certainly, the Emperor would excuse her—

"Pack up your backs. Ann, if you can't have proper etiquette, go back to the Alpheus Manor. It will tarnish both my and the Imperial Family's image in having a free-mouthed maid."

—For eliminating the stains in her life.

━━━━━