Ch. 32 - Debutante Ball: the Sun's Moon (3)

"Oh, how laughable. But there's one thing for sure, the hatred I feel will never subside until I kill her. And maybe that's why I'm losing my mind."

Eclair's lips were hidden behind her glass of wine

Eclair's lips were hidden behind her glass of wine. She held the drink in her hand, a smirk forming on her lips.

"My, my, why do I owe the pleasure of being beside the Crown Prince?" Her piercing golden eyes didn't leave the crowd, observing every single one of the Nobles dancing.

The previous song for the debutante girls had just ended. With that, people were free to dance with whoever they liked. The old and new couples took this as a chance to enjoy their time.

Eclair took a sip from her glass.

Arius grinned beside her. Both of them ignored the adoring stares directed at them. "Why? Am I not allowed to stay by my Darling Eclair's side?" He teased, using the nickname he knew would boil the burgundy-haired girl's blood.

Just as he expected, Eclair's grip on her glass tightened.

"I told you to stop calling me by that annoying name," Eclair grumbles with a scrunched-up expression, "It sounds too awfully intimate and is so cheesy."

Arius chuckles, finally heeding Eclair's words. They spent the next few seconds beside each other. As usual, the stares were boring holes through.

"Rumors will start spreading, won't they?" Arius crosses his arms, one leg prompted up to the pillar behind him.

Eclair nods. "So what about it?" She raises a brow. "It's rather normal for a Duke's daughter to be affiliated with the Crown Prince. Well, I am the Princess's friend as well. It's no use debating that we've met."

Arius scoffs a bit. "But with how Papa is..." He trails off, rubellites turning to Eclair.

"Ah." The realization dawned upon Eclair. "I understand," she whispers, finishing her drink. She settles her glass down at the nearby Table.

"But if we must talk about rumors..." A grin stretches on her lip. "Then shouldn't we talk about your audacious move earlier?" Eclair returns his stare.

Arius flinches when she mentions it. "I guess you're right–"

"I am right," Eclair cuts him off, her tone filled with arrogance. "Don't even try to deny it, Arius. I'm sure your father said the same thing."

"Shut up." Arius' voice was frigid. This brought icicles up Eclair's spine, the girl smirking. "You don't need to continue, Eclair."

His jeweled eyes gleamed dangerously. The atmosphere around him became suffocating. It was as if he was challenging Eclair to proceed.

What kind of Lady was Eclair if she didn't?

Eclair's eyelashes fluttered like butterfly wings. Her expression screamed sly. "Why should I, your Highness~?" The provocation was merely met with a sigh.