Ch. 7 - Reunion of the Twin Star (2)

"Princess? How laughable– the only person I bow to is me and me alone. Though... I guess I can make an exception for her."

Athanasia's head jerks up in terror, her figure trembling in terror after the words left Eclair's mouth

Athanasia's head jerks up in terror, her figure trembling in terror after the words left Eclair's mouth. "H-how...?" She stutters out with a shaky finger pointed at the girl.

Eclair gave an innocent head tilt, feigning obliviousness with an angelic smile. "What's wrong, Princess?" Her question brought chills to Athanasia's spine.

"Y-you... Are you a reincarnator?" Athanasia implores with caution, leaning a bit with more confidence. Her jeweled blue eyes were wary while her hands were tightly clenched. Tight enough her knuckles were white.

It was still for a moment, burgundy bangs hanging over her golden eyes. Before long, Eclair stared at her with a deadpanned stare.

"What nonsense are you talking about?" Eclair says. "I am born and raised here in Obelia, Princess, not in some fantasy world you have in mind," she claims with a brief sigh.

"E-eh?" Athanasia gawks at her with confusion. "Wait, so how do you know the Lovely Princess?!" She accidentally raises her voice, eyes shining with curiosity with subtle caution.

Eclair merely watches her for a while before patting Athanasia's head of hair. 'What?' The Princess was astonished at the act, hands reaching out to the one on top of her head. 'Why is she doing this?'

"The Lovely Princess is one of the many books I've read, Princess. It's one of my favorites as well," Eclair explains, taking pleasure in touching the soft golden locks.

"Ah, yes– it is a book but... How do you know about it?" Athanasia continues to persist, her stature relaxing after a while.

Eclair caught on to this, retracting back her hand to overlap with each other on her lap.

"I got the book when I was three, a month after... The revolution between the late Tyrant and Emperor Claude." Her voice became warmer than earlier, the coldness melting that surprised Athanasia.

'To think the monotone voice I heard at first now reminds me of spring...'

She was indeed right—the hostility Eclair gave out disappeared. Her countenance becoming nonchalant, but with a softer edge to it. The suffocating feeling Athanasia gained had faded as well, something she was both thankful and stunned.

"I have it with me," Eclair adds, "Don't ask how it fit in my dress. My Mother made specific changes to my clothes so it can support a massive amount of items."

Athanasia gave an awkwardly dry laugh.

"Ah, alright," she responds to Eclair's statement while her hands were out to receive the pink book. The black puffed-out skirt expertly hid the book's shape with how Athanasia didn't expect something inside.