Chapter 58

(a/n soooo I decided that I actually didn't feel like writing the reception. Like it was gonna sound like every other pogue party except for their first dance which I had originally planned for it to be to Speechless by Dan & Shay but yeah, so now we're moving on. After these probably next couple of chapters, I'm not really sure what else to write so maybe send some ideas?)

Premise: 1 year later--- lmao that's all y'all are gonna get for a preview

Lydia and JJ had spent a good amount of time discussing the idea of having kids. Lydia of course, desperately wanted to be a mom and to give their child a better life than either of them had. JJ, although he really liked the idea of kids, couldn't bring himself to agree to actively start trying. He was absolutely terrified of turning into his father, and that fear would only be amplified by bringing a child into the world.

It was a fairly average day, Lydia and JJ were finishing up their last obligations in the shop and surf lessons respectively. Lydia, after locking up the store, crossed the street to the beach, where JJ would be finishing up his last lesson of the day

"Hey baby!" Lydia called as JJ high-fived his student as they walked out of the water

"Hey beautiful, how'd the shop fair today?" JJ replied

"Pretty well, for the middle of the week. You ready to go?" Lydia shrugged. They were naturally slower during the weeks, only really getting foot traffic from tourons. The locals only came around on the weekends, knowing that because rentals typically ran from one weekend to the next, that there would be minimum tourons out on the waves.

"That's good about the shop. But, I've been so busy today that I didn't get a chance to walk over to the store and tell you I squeezed in one last lesson. Is that okay?" JJ asked, knowing his wife liked to go home together

"Yeah, of course, babe. Do you want me to stay?" Lydia didn't mind hanging out at the beach for another hour, if he wanted her to

"No, that's okay. Why don't I pick up some food from The Wreck on the way home?" JJ assured

"I can't believe you forgot it's pasta night. Ugh, how rude" Lydia chuckled. For whatever reason, the two of them had deemed Wednesday's pasta night. Almost every week they would have some version of pasta that Lydia made.

"Ah yes, I forgot today was Wednesday. So I'll see you at home?" JJ leaned in for a quick peck from Lydia

"Yeah. Do you want me to leave the car?" Lydia asked, swinging the keys around her finger

"Nope, you're not walking home alone. Take the car" JJ lightly pushed Lydia towards the parking lot

"Okay, okay. I love you" Lydia giggled

"I love you too" JJ stole another kiss from her before running back towards his board and the student waiting for him

*****

An hour and a half later, Lydia was beginning to worry. The lesson ran an hour and then it took about 10-15 minutes to walk from the beach to their house. The food was on the table, just sitting there, as Lydia paced back and forth on the front porch. She had called, texted, and was about ready to jump in the car and go look for him when she saw him coming through the clearing.

She nearly tackled him, muttering things about how worried she was and why he had been gone for longer than expected. She then realized how tense he was, and pulled away from him to be met with his black eye and bruised knuckles.

"JJ, what the fuck" Lydia took a step back. JJ hadn't been in a fight for years, especially since they turned 18, not wanting to risk any felonies now that they were adults.