Chapter 45

The next day, the pogues set out on their mission for the gold. Pope had spent the past night programming the technology they needed in order to interrupt the signal for the walkie-talkies and cameras.

They decided that despite having the jammers, they were also going to light a small fire towards the other end of the runway, in order to ensure that the guards would leave their posts. Kie and JJ were in charge of lighting the fire, Sarah and John B were going to try different access codes on the pin pad, and Pope and Lydia would be in the car.

"Remind me why I'm staying in the car again?" Lydia asked

"Because we need someone to drive in case we get caught and you're still supposed to be resting" John B replied

When they finally made it to the runway, Lydia made sure to park the car behind some trees so it wouldn't be visible. As the group prepared to break off into their different roles, John B stopped them, "This reminds me a lot of the night at the Crain house and I just wanted to say that what I said that night still remains true: I'm so glad that you're all here and that it means a lot that y'all literally crossed an ocean to continue to be here for me"

"You done with this circle jerk?" JJ said sarcastically, causing the group to erupt into giggles. Lydia couldn't help but remember how much simpler life was back then and how much she wished she could go back and appreciate her relationship with JJ.

Once Pope started up his device, the group split up. The 4 teens slipped through a hole in the fence and JJ and Kie made their way down the runway, ducking behind trees to stay hidden. John B and Sarah waited until the fire was set and the guards were drawn away from the garage.

The garage itself wasn't anything amazing. It was simply a one room building, with a door facing towards the runway that had a small keypad next to it. You can see the camera's perched on the edge of the roof, surveying for any unwanted visitors. Sarah and John B quickly began trying different number combinations: Sarah's birthday, Wheezie's birthday, Rose's Birthday, Rose and Ward's anniversary, hell Sarah even tried Rafe's birthday, but nothing was working. They continued to see "Wrong Code" after every number combination. They were so caught up in trying to figure out the code, they didn't realize the guards were finishing dealing with the fire.

The rest of the pogues waited anxiously in the car and when they realized that the fire had been put out, Lydia did the only thing she could think of to get their attention, she laid her hand on the horn letting it make a long "beeeeep" noise.

"Are you crazy? You literally just told the guards where we were" JJ scolded from the back seat

"Will you just shut up and trust me? Open the door" Lydia said while turning on the car and sure enough Sarah and John B came tearing through the bushes, yelling for Lydia to start the car.

Once the teens had successfully entered the car, Lydia wasted no time in speeding away from the scene, leaving only the squeal of tires as evidence that they were there.

"Holy shit, how did you time that perfectly?" John B panted

"I realized that because of where we lit the fire, the guards, regardless of them hearing the horn, would be too far away from both the car and John B and Sarah, meaning that we'd be able to escape. Despite what you all think, I'm capable of contributing more than sitting in the car to our plans" Lydia ranted, slightly salty that they clearly had her on driving duty because they didn't want her near danger.

"Says the one that literally killed herself two days ago" JJ mumbled, not realizing he said it loud enough for Lydia to hear

"Really JJ? That's low. I know you're upset with me, but you out of all people know for a fucking fact that I didn't intend to die." Lydia gripped the steering wheel so hard that her knuckles turned white

"Intentions clearly don't matter to you" JJ retorted

"Knock it off" Kie slapped the back of his head, she didn't understand why either of them were acting like this. From what she heard, the conversation they had went fairly well.

"So??? Did you guys get in?" Pope says, suddenly remembering why they were all in the car to begin with

"No" Sarah frowned

A chorus of 'shit's' and 'damn it's' rang through the air. They are so close to the gold and yet still so far.

As the group pulled back up to Katrina's house, they had already begun discussing other options and plans for how to get the gold.

"We could drug the guards" Lydia laughed, earning harsh glares from the group, "Too soon?"

"Yes and that doesn't solve the issue of the fact that we can't figure out the code" Pope replied

"Have you guys thought about if you have any legal options?" A voice came from around the corner

(a/n this is probably not at all accurate in terms of laws but this is fanfiction-- we can make stuff up)

"We didn't ask your opinion, Katrina" Lydia scoffed

"Although we didn't ask, that's not a bad idea. There's got to be a law about the rightful ownership of discoveries and it could work in our favor since we found it first" John B cut in

"I know someone through work, her husband is a lawyer. I'm sure he'd be willing to answer some questions" Katrina suggested

"We aren't interested in your favors" Lydia growled, getting only angrier with every minute Katrina was in their presence

"When are you gonna get over this? You're acting like a child" Katrina crossed her arms

"Oh I'm sorry, did you forget that I'm an ACTUAL child? Yours to be exact? Or did you assume I became an adult as soon as you left?" Lydia stood from her spot, then she addressed the pogues, "Do whatever you want but I won't be involved in anything that has to do with her besides this house because I don't have a choice"

The group collectively sighed, knowing that this was their next best shot at getting the gold but also knowing that they couldn't do this without Lydia's blessing. As they watched Lydia sulk off towards her room, they began discussing a plan to achieve a different goal. They needed to get Lydia to at least allow them to use Katrina's connection.

a/n

a little shorter than normal but I didn't want to include the plan the pogues have for Katrina and Lydia because it'll be too long

anyways y'all know the drill: let me know what you think!

also it's wild that this has 6k reads and I'm currently still writing this

xo

Haley