25: Sugar Rush

Luckily, Liz did not keep to her promise of waking me up early on my birthday. Instead, that job was left to my parents. I groaned as both my mother and father barged into my room early Saturday morning, singing happy birthday at the top of their lungs, causing me to give up on my sleep.

It had always been a tradition in our house, one that I would normally enjoy, but since I had started working, there was nothing I treasured more than my sleep.

"We have a little surprise for you" My dad said as he sat down at the edge of my bed.

That got my attention. I shot out of bed, my eyes now wide with anticipation. "What is it?"

"You'll have to get out of bed to find out" he laughed.

"This is why I hate surprises" I groaned, falling back down.

"C'mon, get out of bed" my mom chastised. "We need to get ready"

"For what?" I groaned.

"We're taking you out for a birthday breakfast"

"Well, you've just ruined the surprise now Victoria" my dad laughed.

"A birthday breakfast?" I said, peeking through the covers.

"Well, you won't be getting one if you don't get out of bed" dad chuckled.

"Fine" I grumbled, reluctantly pushing the covers away from me and getting out of bed.

"Atta "

"Where are we going?" I asked, rubbing the sleep from my eyes.

"We can at least keep something a surprise" dad laughed.

"Right, start getting ready or we won't be going anywhere" My mom demanded, before walking out the room.

"Can you at least tell me where we're going?" I pleaded, pouting, hoping I looked like a five-year-old wanting her favourite toy.

"No can do. I promised your mother that we would keep this a secret. My lips are sealed sweetie. Now go get dressed. I'm hungry for some birthday breakfast" As if on cue, his stomach grumbled, making us both laugh.

I grinned as I stood outside my favourite dessert place. We were having dessert for breakfast. This was the perfect start to the day. We were a little bit late to call it a birthday breakfast, it was more of a breakfast brunch now. I assumed this would be a casual little visit, so I wore an old t-shirt with a pair of jeans. My mother went ballistic and told me to wear something nicer. I thought it was strange behaviour seeing as we were only going out for breakfast. After a few outfit changes, I finally decided on my polka dot jumpsuit. It was slowly becoming a favourite outfit of mine.

It felt strange walking into a dessert parlour all dressed up, but if I was getting to have dessert this early in the day, who was I to complain. I felt like a kid in a candy shop as I got to choose my ice cream flavours. I also had chocolate covered waffles and a milkshake, seeing as it was my birthday.

I couldn't have asked for a better start to the day. It was great hanging out with my parents. It was something we didn't do very often as we were all busy with work and our own lives. If anything, it made me appreciate my parents even more and I treasured each minute I spent with them.

As they say, all good things had to come to an end. All too soon, the milkshake had been slurped up, and my waffle plate had been licked clean. Was it bad to say that I was dreading going back home? I knew I said that I hadn't planned anything for my birthday, but after the morning that I had, I didn't want to go home to nothing. The most likely thing I would end up doing was probably going back to bed after the sugar rush I was feeling. A very happy birthday to me!