18: Unicorns

Today we were going to the office to meet the Scotland team. The office was located only ten minutes away from the hotel, so we walked it. It was great as we got to explore more of Edinburgh as we made our way to the office. It also helped that it wasn't raining today.

"Did you get a good night sleep last night?" Daniel asked as he walked beside me. The streets bustled with early morning commuters all rushing to get to work. People sauntered with their suits and ties, briefcases in hands, others with coffees as they waited impatiently at the traffic lights to cross the road.

"Yeah, it was good. I was just glad to see a bed after our long flight. How was your night?"

"I slept as soon as we got to our room and didn't get up until this morning. I had a great sleep" Daniel chuckled.

We passed Scott monument, a tall tower, blackened with age, with spires pointing out, looking majestic in the middle of the gardens. Before Daniel could explain the history of it to me, I asked "So, who was your room buddy?"

"I got paired with Colton. I heard you got paired with Jason"

Great, now I did wish he would have told me about the history of the monument. I suppose sooner or later people were going to find out.

"Yeah, I did" I said, looking anywhere but at Daniel. Luckily Jason was nearer the front of the group so couldn't hear our conversation.

"I hope he didn't snore" Daniel laughed.

I chuckled to myself. That was the least of my worries. I was so knocked out, that I wouldn't have heard any snoring even if he did. To say this morning was awkward was an understatement. It started when my alarm went off. I felt warm and snuggly and I didn't want to move from my place. I soon found out why.

My eyes widened as I looked down to see a hand wrapped round my waist. In that moment, I remembered where I was and who that arm belonged to. The sun had filtered through the curtains, brightening the room. I was too scared to turn around in case Jason woke up, but I didn't know how else to get up off the bed or how to shut the alarm off that was blaring loudly.

For some reason, the alarm had no effect on Jason as he continued to breathe lightly. As I tried to move off, his hold on me tightened. I smiled, kind of liking the feeling of Jason's arm wrapped around me. However, I didn't know if Jason would feel the same way. I suppose he would have to get up at some point.

I managed to turn my face around, seeing how peaceful he looked sleeping. His eyes fluttered open, and considering I was the first person he saw; his eyes grew in alarm and pulled his arm away instantly. I suppose I didn't look my best in the morning. We got ready in silence for the rest of the morning and hadn't spoken since.

The roads were busy this morning, filled with taxis and buses, the trams busy transporting people for their busy days ahead. Students passed by; their backpacks full, ready for a day of learning. Shops were opening up, ranging from small cafes to large retail stores. This was going to be a busy day.

We soon arrived at the office, located nicely between other modern office buildings, contrasting with the old Victorian style buildings located nearby.

As soon as we walked in, we were greeted by a friendly smile "Hi, welcome to the Scotland office." The girl greeted us.

Veronica was at the front of the group and smiled. "Thanks, you must be Aisha"

The girl, Aisha, stood tall, looking smart in her pink shirt and black blazer on top. Her lightly coloured hijab wrapped loosely on top of her head. "That's right, I'm the head of the Scottish team. I think I recognise some of you from your email pictures but it's great to see you all. Let me introduce you to the rest of the team" she smiled, as we followed her through the office.