6: My Future Awaits

My legs bopped up and down involuntarily as I waited in the reception area for my interview. My hands were clasped together at my knees, mainly to stop me from biting my nails. I was a bag of nerves; my heart thumping a million miles a minute in my chest.

I absolutely hated interviews. How I wished they could just give you the job without having to go through such a horrible process. I had been to so many interviews, that I was now an expert at them. I just now needed to know how to become an expert in landing a job.

It seemed like everyone else my age knew what they were doing. They were either getting married, having kids or had already landed a job straight after graduating college which would guarantee them a lifetime of success. I had neither of those. The only successful thing I had managed to do after graduating college was not stealing the Oreos from Liz's cupboard. I considered that quite the achievement considering the amount of Oreos I went through while I was studying.

I was surprised to get the phone call for this interview as I had only applied the day before, but Mr Baker seemed eager to meet me and discuss my CV further. He seemed pleasant on the phone and was happy to meet me as soon as possible. He mentioned he was looking to fill the space in his finance team as soon as possible.

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath to calm my beating heart. The hustle and bustle of the office was still not loud enough to block out the noise of the heartbeat thrumming in in my ears. I set my attention on the array magazines that lay in front of me, hoping it would provide enough of a distraction of my impending doom.

"Rosie?"  a voice broke me out of my thoughts. I jumped, slightly startled at the disruption and was greeted by a smiling face. "Rosie, I thought it was you. What are you doing here?" Jason smiled down at me.

Because the interview was so last minute, I had barely any time to tell Liz or Jason about the interview. To be honest because I was too busy panicking, it had slipped my mind that Jason worked here.

"Hey, I've got an interview" I said, glad for the distraction.

Jason took the seat beside me and raised an eyebrow "Liz didn't mention anything about it" he stated.

I gave a light chuckle "That's because I didn't tell her. I was so busy prepping for this interview that I completely forgot to mention it to her. And it was so last-minute"

"Mr Baker is a nice guy, so you have nothing to worry about. I'm sure you'll do great"

To that I rolled my eyes "Oh yeah, which has been proved by my very successful hiring rate"

"Don't stress too much" Jason assured me. "Just think of how amazing it would be if we were to work together"

That made me smile "It would be good to see a familiar face every now and then" I smiled. "Any last-minute advice before I go in?" I asked him.

"Just be yourself, you'll win Mr Baker over by being your amazing self" my cheeks heated up at that comment, I just hoped he didn't notice. "Did you do some research on the company?" he asked.

I nodded "Yeah, Cerulean Ltd specialises in outsourcing business activities" I recited what I had researched the night before.

"Don't forget to mention we focus on small to medium companies and that we have expanded in other countries, including Scotland" he clarified.

I blew out a breath and nodded. "Thanks, I almost forgot that" I said, grateful for him being here and giving me advice. "Anything else I should know?" I questioned, my leg still jiggling up and down in nervousness.

"First stop bouncing your legs, it's very distracting" he chuckled. I immediately stopped for about two seconds, before they started to move again. Jason laughed and took my hands in his "Close your eyes and take a deep breath"