9: Beginning of the Future

I had my new clothes on that I had bought last week with Liz, a white shirt patterned with little daisies paired with black trousers and a pair of heels to make me feel taller. With my new clothes, I felt ready to take on the day.

Even with the confidence I felt in my new clothes, I still felt jittery as I entered the building that was to be the beginning of my future. The receptionist, Jada, smiled kindly as I walked in and showed me to my new team.

"How are you feeling about your first day in your new role?"

"Nervous" I admitted, my breath shaking slightly. "This is my first office job and it's such a great opportunity. I don't want to mess it up"

Jada gave me a reassuring smile "Don't worry too much. You're going to love it here. It's such a great company to work . "

"Have you been here long?" I asked her.

"I've been here for almost three years. I was originally just supposed to be here for a while until I found something closer to home, but I just love it here so much I could never think of leaving this place"

That was reassuring to hear. I had always heard horror stories of some companies being bad to work for. I was glad this company was not one of them.

"That's good to hear. My friend Jason works here, and he has nothing but good things to say about this place"

"Oh, Jason." Jada said, placing her hand on her heart. "He is such a sweetheart. Just the other day, he stayed behind to help me move my car when it didn't start up. And it was slashing with rain too"

I smiled, that sounded like Jason. We had approached the top of the stairs and stood behind the door of the first floor. "Are you ready?" Jada smiled, and without waiting for me to respond, opened the door to my future.

Although it was a small office, it bustled with life. The room came to life, people were chatting on phones, getting down to business, some were huddled over their desks, hard at work and some were running about, with coffee in some hands and others with stacks of paper.

The walls were bright, and the windows were big, making the room feel large. My heart was beating fast, I didn't think I was ready for this. I looked around for a familiar tuft of sandy blonde hair but struggled to find him in this bustling office.

"Where is the marketing department?" I asked casually. Jada just smirked, knowing who I was talking about.

"Marketing's on the second floor "

"Oh" I sighed, disappointed that I wouldn't have a familiar face in the office.

"What's your relationship with Jason? He's never mentioned a girlfriend before"

"Oh, no" I said, my face heating up "We're just friends"

Jada raised an eyebrow at me but didn't broach the subject further "I'll show you to your team" she said as she took me to the end of the office where the finance team were.

She smiled as we approached them, taking me to my new team "This is Madeline, she'll be your new manager" Jada introduced as I shook Madeline's hand.

"Rosie, it's so nice to have you on the team. We can't wait for you to get started" Madeline smiled. The first thing I noticed about Madeline was that she was tall, with her red blazer and trousers to match, it was a power outfit. "Let me introduce you to the rest of the team"

"I'll be off then. I'm just downstairs if you need anything Rosie" Jada said as she went back to her desk.

I smiled nervously at Madeline as she took me around to meet the rest of the team. "Our team is small, but we work really hard to make sure all the finances of the company run smoothly. So, this here is Jakub, he's our finance analyst." Madeline pointed out.