23: Silence is Deadly

Things had been a little tense between Liz and I recently. She seemed upset about that photo but never mentioned anything about it after that day. If this was her reaction now, how would she react once she found out what was really going on.

We had texted every so often, but the conversation was lacking and there would be nothing to report. I wasn't sure if I was just looking too much into this.

Today, Liz was out with her work colleagues, genuinely this time. So, I took this opportunity to sneak into their house, to have a little catch up with Jason. Just the thought of having to 'sneak in' to my best friend's house filled me with dread. But, if this week showed me anything, it was that I really had to carefully plan out how I was going to tell Liz. And I told Jason just as much.

"She'll be fine once she has time to process it all and realises this is serious" Jason said, playing with my hair as we sat on the couch, the television providing some background noise. Why did I have a feeling that I had heard this before somewhere?

"I don't know Jason" I sighed "She really wasn't happy about that picture"

"But there were loads of pictures of us together. We were being tourists and taking pictures at every moment" Jason laughed. "What exactly did she say?"

"Nothing" I shrugged.

"Nothing?" Jason raised an eyebrow. "Well then, how would you know if she's really mad at you? I would say silence is better than her actually saying something"

"Oh Jason" I smirked, patting him on the shoulder "If there is anything you should know about women, is that their silence is deadly. If she says nothing, it means you have done something very wrong. Just keep that in mind for the future"

Jason visibly gulped and turned his attention to the television as I tried to hold in my laughter. "I knew that" he scoffed, taking the remote and flicking through the channels. I shook my head; Jason sure had a lot to learn. "How about we go out on a date to take your mind of things?"

"A date?" I shook my head "Isn't that a bit risky?"

"Just because we're keeping this a secret for now, that doesn't mean we still can't go out on dates" Jason winked. "So, how about it? We haven't been on a date yet since we've got back. I think it's about time we have our first proper date at home"

I still thought it was risky and I didn't want to do anything that would expose us. My head was saying it wasn't a good idea, that we could get caught. By my heart wanted any excuse to spend more time with Jason. In the end my heart won, and I reluctantly agreed. "Fine, why not" I shrugged. "So, what do you have in mind?"

"It's a surprise" Jason smirked.

"You know I hate surprises" I groaned. "Can you not just tell me where we're going, so I can dress appropriately?"

"Nope. I want to surprise you, and I think you're going to like it. Besides, you could wear a grocery bag over you, and you would still look good" he grinned.

I shook my head as I tried to hide my own smile, hating how much his smile could change my mind in an instant. "Yeah, I bet you would love to see that" A thought suddenly occurred to me "I thought you had just come up with this date idea just now? But you're saying it's a surprise?"

Jason smiled, running a hand through his hair "Well, to tell you the truth, I have been planning a little surprise date for a while now"

"Awww Jason" I grinned, kissing his now pink cheeks. "That's so sweet. But you have to tell me where we're going"

"Not a chance. I want to see your face once you know where I'm taking you"

"I'm not happy about this" I grumbled, folding my arms like a little child.