17: Bonnie Scotland

I sat on the plane, feeling giddy and anxious and excited. I couldn't believe I was on a plane to Scotland. I tried to do as much research as I could about the beautiful country but in the end, I decided to experience it for myself. But from what I did research, I had nothing to worry about. It was voted one of the friendliest countries in the world.

Daniel sat beside me, chatting about everything he had researched about the country, so I suppose there was no need for me to do my research. He was just as excited as I was and was desperate to try out haggis.

About fifteen people from the office were selected to go to the Scotland office. Most people couldn't go due to other commitments but most of us who put our names down managed to get a place. We were all excited about visiting a new country and seeing the new office and meeting those in the Edinburgh office who we had emailed but had never seen before.

Jason sat a few seats behind us. We hadn't really spoken much. We had only greeted each other with pleasantries at the airport but there was still an awkwardness between us. I had hoped we would at least be on speaking terms before the trip, but it didn't seem like we were there yet. Maybe once we arrived, things would we different.

Before I knew it, we had arrived at Edinburgh airport. We had to take a taxi into the city centre, where we would be staying. I didn't take my eyes of the window as the taxi made its way to the hotel. The skies were grey as rain trickled down the window. We drove along, greenery on either side, brightening up the dull day. The greenery soon disappeared, and buildings took its place. Houses replaced the green farmlands on one side, and businesses on the other. People walked in the streets, holding tight onto their jackets as the wind threatened to blow them away.

"Hey, look over there" Daniel pointed out. "It's the zoo". I smiled as we passed by a huge building, pictures of pandas and penguins on the outside, a large 'Edinburgh Zoo' sign displayed at the entrance. "Did you know that Edinburgh Zoo is the only zoo in the United Kingdom to home pandas?"

I raised my eyebrow "How much research did you do of Scotland?"

"I may have done quite a bit of research" Daniel replied, rubbing his hand against his neck. "There was just so may interesting facts about Scotland to find out, I couldn't help it"

"The buildings all look so old and historic. It's amazing" I said in awe as we passed by some large stone houses.

"Just wait until you get to the city centre. There is so much history to see there"

The closer we got to our destination, the more excited I was to discover Edinburgh. The roads suddenly got busier and large buildings took over. It looked like we had made it to the city centre. More people were about, running away from the rain that was starting to pour down, we passed rows upon rows of colourful shops, with kilts and tartan gifts on display. I would definitely have to get some gifts from the gift shop at some point.

Our taxi stopped at the hotel and my heartbeat faster. I couldn't stop the grin that overtook my face. I couldn't believe I was here, in Edinburgh. I looked up at the large building that overshadowed us, all medieval like, and my heart fluttered at the excitement of this new adventure. In the distance loomed the castle, adding to the medieval feel of the city.

We entered the hotel, where the rest of the team were waiting in the lobby. The first thing I noticed was the blue and beige tartaned chairs, that some of the team were currently sat on. How very Scottish. Chandeliers above lit the lightly dimmed room. As it was evening, the lights were lowered, a screen on the wall showing a fireplace, giving the lobby a cosy feeling. I looked around in awe as I stared at one wall of the lobby which had pictures of what looked like Victorian royalty.