10: Secrets and Lies

Liz twirled around, her red dress swaying. "You look great Liz" I smiled, loving how Liz looked in her new dress.

"I feel great" she grinned, taking one last look in the mirror.

Her makeup was light, not wanting to go too heavy for a first date. She, of course had matching heels to go with the dress. She looked great, compared to my attire, which consisted of a football top. There was, however, a reason for that.

"You do remember the plan, right?" Liz asked for the thousandth time.

I rolled my eyes "Yes, I came up with it remember!"

"Just go over it for me one more time before I panic again" she said, pacing the length of her room.

"First, stop panicking" I said, getting up from my place on her bed to stop her from moving about. "Don't worry, I've got this under control" I assured her. "But just to clarify one more time, I'm going to distract Jason by taking him to Ethan's house to watch the football game. You are going on a cinema date which should last the length of the football game. You may even have time for a sneaky goodnight kiss if you don't stay for the credits"

Liz took a deep breath, re checked herself in the mirror and smiled at me "Have I ever told you what an amazing best friend you are?"

"No, you haven't actually. You should say it more often considering how much I've saved your butt. And I'm practically the reason why you two are together in the first place. I distracted Jason at the beach, at the club, I also- "

"Okay, okay, you're the most amazing, wonderful, fantastical, awesomist, best friend in the whole entire world" Liz said, cutting me off.

I nodded, satisfied "That is all I ask"

"But seriously, thank you for doing this. I appreciate it more than you could ever know"

I smiled; hugging Liz tight "I think I can guess how much Ian means to you. You do realise I could never have done this for any of your other loser boyfriends"

Liz chuckled "I know. Anyway, they weren't that bad"

"I just know you'd do the same for me if I was in your situation"

"You're so lucky you don't have a brother who has a hot best friend" Liz groaned.

"Don't worry about Jason. We'll deal with him when the time comes. In the meantime, you just have fun with Ian and see where the night takes you"

"I'm so nervous. I've never felt this nervous about a first date before"

"That's because it's true love" I cooed.

Liz smiled, her cheeks flushing red. "I wouldn't go that far, but I'm hoping it's headed in that direction"

"I'm sure it is. I saw the way Ian looked at you when he was over here earlier on in the week and it just looked like he wanted Jason and I out the room" I laughed.

"You do realise that you'll probably be having to do this for the next while? Well, depending on how tonight goes"

I smiled "Don't worry. I can come up with a few more ingenious plans to keep you going for another few dates. But once I run out of ideas, you're going to have to tell Jason"

She nodded "I will. I just need time to figure out the best way to tell Jason. The more you distract him the better"

I held three fingers up, standing straight "Best friends honour. I promise I shall try my best to distract Jason so you and Ian can fall in love"

Liz just shook her heads "You better make sure you leave on time.  Ian is supposed to pick me up at half seven"

I glanced at the bedside clock which read six forty-two "Oh, we better get a move on. The game starts at seven". I hugged Liz one last time. "Good luck. You are telling me every little detail tomorrow. That is the payment I demand for distracting Jason"