35- Going On A Suicide Mission

35

“Are you insane?” I asked Blake, bewildered by the idea. “This is the second surprise visit you’re bringing me to today!”

“My parents know I’m visiting them, calm down Bethany.” He rolled his eyes at me.

“You could’ve at least told me! Look at me, I’m only jeans and a shirt.” I said tugging on the hem of my shirt. “If I knew at least I could’ve dressed up a bit with a blouse and gave a little more effort to my make-up.”

“You look beautiful.” He said and held my hand, holding it tight. “Stop worrying, okay? My parents will love you.”

“And how will you know that?’ I asked, the panic once again rising within me. “What if they don’t? This is a bad idea. What if they’ll hate me?”

“They won’t.” he reassured me as we got nearer to the house.

I stopped my tracks, pulling Blake to halt. And in a quiet voice I spoke up, “What if I don’t live up to what Stephanie set up for them? She must’ve been terrific at this kind of things. Your parents must love her.”

The expression on his face changed immediately. He released my hand and grabbed on to my arms instead with a little too much force to my liking. He looked mad, like I just pissed him off (I think I did). His gray eyes pierced right through me and I could see the fire behind them.

He is definitely angry.

“Bethany, I did not bring you to Stephanie just so that you can degrade yourself and think of the worst. I don’t want you comparing yourself to her. You and Stephanie are two completely different persons.”

“That’s not what I meant.” I muttered, looking down at the grass and how my sneakers stood out. “It’s….”

“You’ll do great Bethany.” He cupped my face, squishing my cheeks making me look like a chipmunk, and kissed me. “Trust me.”

I sighed and gave in. I’m being selfish if I don’t and Blake has been really patient with me. He has been the perfect boyfriend and refusing this would mean I am the worst girlfriend in history.

“If I start babbling, please step in and save me.” I warned him in advance as I took his hand.

He laughed. “That’ll be a sight to see.”

“Blake.” I frowned and poked his arm. “I’m serious. I don’t want to make a fool of myself.”

“Yeah, yeah sure.” He dismissed his hand in the air and knocked on the door.

Sounds of rustling and footsteps were heard from the inside. A few seconds later, the door opened revealing an older version of Blake with graying hair and a few wrinkles here and there. I’m guessing he’s in his fifties. A smile appeared on his face stretching from ear to ear.

“Hey dad.” Blake smiled at his father.

“Blake!” his father cried and engulfed him in a hug. It’s refreshing to see a son hugging his father. They pulled away from each other after a second or two. “How are you? How’s Allie been doing? And who’s this young lady?”

“I’ve been doing great, and Allie’s still Allie.” Blake replied to his father and placed his hand over my shoulder, pulling me against him. “Dad this is Bethany Hamilton, my girlfriend. Bethany, this is my dad.”

I gave him a smile and returned one back. He extended his hand out and I gladly shook it.

“Come in both of you” he said and stepped aside for us to enter.