04- It Looks Like An Albino Chocolate

04

“Ice cream!” Liam and Allie giggled, begging Blake and I to take them out to the local ice cream parlor to get them ice cream. It seemed like they were having a date and making us pay.

“You are going to overdose on sugar.” I messed up Liam’s hair. “You are still going to have cake.”

“Please?”

“What do you think Blake?” I sighed and turned to look at Blake searching for signs if he approved at it seemed like he did. He gave me a nod. “Alright, alright but let me pay for my groceries first.”

Liam held Allie’s hand and smiled. Damn, this kid got more skills than normal teenage boys.

After ringing up my groceries, I looked around, still waiting for Mrs. Greene to appear.

“Are you looking for someone?” Blake asked me and took my paper bag from the counter. “Liam is here already.”

“You don’t have to carry my stuff.” I muttered and took the bag from him which he let go. “What about your wife, Mrs. Greene?  Are you only here with Allie?”

Blake looked surprised but quickly recuperated it. “My wife died giving birth to Allie.”

With that, he grasped Allie’s hand and leaded us out.

Clearly I that wasn’t good topic and that I had offended him. I didn’t know! I thought his wife was just around the store with a different cart that was already full and had coupons with her and Blake and Allie just roamed around with a trolley of what they want, not her dead. Jesus.

We left to the ice cream shop after stopping by my car to dump everything in. Blake didn’t talk to me and avoided eye contact. I wanted to apologize to him but couldn’t make up the words in my head.

Liam started jumping as I held his hand. We were walking towards the cashier and when we entered the store, he immediately let go of my hand and ran up to Allie who also let go of her father’s hand.

After order chocolate chip for Liam and cookie dough or me, we sat at one of their tables with Blake and Allie following us suit carrying a cup of chocolate ice cream and another that looked like a pale version of mocha. Allie sat in front of me and beside her was Blake.

I suddenly felt a tug on my blouse. It was Liam.

“Can we switch places?” he whispered to me. “I want to be with Al-ee.”

This kid I swear.

I agreed and we switched places so Blake and I ended up facing each other. This was my time to apologize.

“Hey Blake.” I smiled at him apologetically. “About earlier, I shouldn’t have asked that. I’m sorry.”

“No, don’t apologize.” He sighed and leaned back on his chair. “It was my fault. I should not have just walked out like that. That was so immature of me. You were concerned about my wife and asked, and you didn’t know that she has passed. That was my entire fault. I should be the one saying sorry so I am. I’m sorry.”

“You don’t have to.” I muttered and slipped the spoonful of cookie dough ice cream in my mouth.

“What flavor is that?” Blake suddenly leans forward, gazing at my ice cream.

“Oh this. “I swallowed my melted ice cream. “It’s cookie dough. Do you want to taste?”

I gently pushed my cup towards him and raised my spoon that was full of ice cream.

Then it dawned on me.  I was being so inappropriate. I blushed, “I’m sorry. I should get like another spoon or something.”

“I don’t mind though.” Blake smiled at me. Oh Christ, butterflies started exploding in my stomach.