14- I Like You And All That

14

With the bright green bracelets secured on our wrists, we made our way to the fair grounds. Liam was beside me, a huge grin was on his face as looked around. There were different rides around us, colorful lights flashed like a disco ball.

I held him tightly with my hand when I felt my other hand being intertwined with someone else’s.
“Daddy doesn’t want you to get lost Beth.” Allie said as she looked up at me, her tiny hand enclosed in mine. “I don’t want to lose you.”

I smiled at her, grasping her hand in mine securely. “I don’t want to lose you too baby girl.”

“I like pwincess better.” She gave me a toothy grin which caused me to chuckle at her cuteness.

“Alright.” I agreed. “I don’t want to lose you too princess.”

“I thought I was the only one special enough to call her that.” Blake grimaced. “Guess I was wrong.”

“Daddy I only let you and mommy call me that.” Allie pursed her lips at her father.

“But princess, I’m not your mommy.” I said the words softly.

Was she thinking that I was her mother? That I was her mother who returned after a four years? My heart sank at the thought. It must be pretty hard growing up with only one parent. But at least unlike others, Blake didn’t blame Allie for Stephanie’s death.

Allie nodded at me. “I know, but I also know you’re going to be my new one soon.”

I stared at her with my jaw dropped. I reverted my eyes from the little girl to her father. Likewise, Blake seemed surprised at the words that came out of her daughter’s mouth.

“Popcorn!” Allie jumped as she dragged all of us to the stall. “Daddy can I have some?”

“What? Uh, yeah.” Blake took out some change from the pocket of his pants and handed them to the man selling.

After also buying one for Liam, we head off to the first ride they wanted: the ever so famous Ferris wheel.

“I want to ride now!” Allie hopped on her tiny feet as she clutched the bag of popcorn in her hands.

Liam raised his right hand up in the air. “Me too.”

“We’ll have our turn.” I told them.

“But I want to go in now.” Liam pouted, crossing his arms over his chest, the bag of popcorn slightly tipping to one side.

Blake bent his knees to meet their level. “Other people lined up before us and it wouldn’t be fair if we just cut in, right?”

Both the kids sighed and nodded.

“How…?” I gaped at him. “You’re so good at handling them! I would've makde things worse if I started talking.”

“Well, I have been doing this for years.” He answered smugly, his head held high.

“And when did it get easier?” I arched my brow.

Blake gave me a sheepish smile. “Who said it got easier?”

The line was quite long but it moved in a quick steady pace. Before we knew it, it was our turn to get inside the car. It was quite small.

Blake sat in front of me, his knees against mine it was because either the cabin was too small and narrow for enough leg room or I was too tall, or Blake was but I believe it was the latter seeing I am only 5’4. Allie was beside him. Liam was beside me, much to his dismay as he wanted to sit beside Allie but both Blake and I decided against it since the weight distribution wouldn’t be equal and will result to the car tilting.