21- The Great Twenty Four Year Old Virgin Bethany Hamilton, Who's Into Celibacy

21

The sun hadn’t even risen when I made my way to the airport early Tuesday morning. The air was chilly as I tugged my sweater tighter around my body, waiting for my sister and her husband to emerge from the doors. Reese called me before the last leg of her connecting flight departed, about two hours ago, obviously not caring that I only had two hours of sleep and it was three in the morning from my where I stand. The sun wasn’t even up yet.

Liam was curled up at the backseat sleeping. He insisted to go so I let him. The kid didn’t see his parents for a month. And I really couldn’t leave a four year old alone in my house. My sister would kill me and I’d get in a butt load of trouble.

I dozed in and out of sleep most of the time I waited for them with my phone clutched in my hand as I tried my best to stay awake. It seemed impossible.

My eyes fluttered as I battled with myself to stay awake, my lids getting heavier as every second passed. Just as I was about to give up, my phone started vibrating like a person on a seizure, waking me up instantly. It wasn’t Reese. It was Blake.

“What?” I snapped.

“Someone’s cranky.”

I scowled. “Why are you up so early? Are transforming to a bat or something?”

“I can’t go back to sleep.” He admitted.

“So you decided to wake me up?”

“Well, yes.” I could almost hear the sheepish smile in his voice as he said the words. “And you did mention you were going to pick your sister up early in the morning. So I took my chances.”

“Right.” I yawned. “We just talked like less than five hours ago. I guess you just miss me so much.”

“I do.”

His response caught me off guard because that wasn’t what I was expecting. I was anticipating something along the lines of “In your dreams” or “You wish”. But then again I was talking to Blake Greene.

“Are you driving right now?”

“No.” I shook my head. “I’m just sitting down in my car waiting for my sister.”

I could hear him shift around and the sound of a fabric whipped telling me he’s still in bed. And most likely shirtless. Oh god. My face heated up at the thought.

“Bethany?”

“Yeah?”

Silence followed for a few seconds until I heard him sigh and started talking.

“I need to tell you something.” He said his voice in a low whisper as if he forced himself to say the words. I could hear him take a sharp breath of air but before he could continue talking, my phone started vibrating again against my cheek telling me someone else was calling and I knew immediately it was Reese.

“Can we talk later? I’m sorry but I need to hang up.” I said. “My sister’s calling, probably ready to yell at me where I am.”

“Okay.” He responded in a disappointed voice.

I ran my fingers through my hair to get them out of my face. “I’m sorry Blake.”

“It’s fine.” He replied. “I’ll come over later if that’s fine.”

A grin made its way to my face. “Definitely.”

I killed the call with Blake and answered Reese’s.

“Where are you?”

“You really need to learn to greet people Reese.” I sighed on my phone.