18- Stop Poking Me

18

After arguing on who was going to pay for lunch (I won), we set off to the beach. The drive after the diner didn’t take us thirty minutes after all, all thanks to the almost car- less road. We had already arrived at the hotel we were staying and were at the front desk, waiting for the receptionist- whose name was also surprisingly Christy, to finished processing the data.

“You originally booked one room, right?” Christy asked as she typed something in the computer.

“Yes.” Blake nodded. “But the hotel had a mix up and booked me two rooms but decided to not cancel the extra room.”

Christy nodded and after a few seconds more, she handed us two different card keys.

“Please enjoy your stay.” She said with a forced smile.

We were the only four occupants as the elevator doors closed on us.

“The hotel accidentally booked you two rooms?” I asked, surprised.

“Yeah.” He responded, running his fingers through his hair as he blushed. “I received the bill of my credit card the day after I met you. And well, I thought…”

Blake trailed off, giving me a sheepish grin then turned away. He was blushing full on now and looked down on the floor.

“And you thought what Blake?” I teased, prodding him as I enjoyed the rare moment. “What did you think of?”

“Shut up.” Blake scowled, his face red, as he scratched the back of his head.

I laughed and adjusted the strap of my bag on my shoulder. I toyed with the stiff piece of card in my hand.

The doors opened in front of me, and we step out. I took a glance at the card again. 541. We started walking down the carpeted hallway and stop at our respective rooms. I stopped in front of my room, and Blake kept on walking until he stopped at his own room, room 553, 5 rooms away from mine.

“Meet us down at the lobby in ten.”

“Okay.” I answered and slipped the card off the door knob. I opened the door and Liam rushed right passed me, jumping on the bed.

I heard him groan out loud, and the sound of a squeaking mattress greeted my ears.

“You’re going to break the bed Liam.” I told him as I placed the bags on the floor. I kicked off my flip flops and pulled out Liam’s swim clothes from his bag. I fished mine out too. Then I realized that the only bathing suit I had was the bikini. I bit my cheeks, scrunching up the fabric in my hand.

Shaking my head, I went inside the bathroom to change still. Being prepared in not finding anything downstairs is better than having to go back up just to change.

When I was done, I pulled my shirt back and buttoned up my shorts again. Liam already changed and had a towel in his hand, his eyes glued to the television screen as he watched Disney Channel. I shook my head and started rummaging my bag for the sunblock. When I found it, I applied a generous amount to Liam’s body and mine. My sister was coming back this Tuesday and I don’t want Liam and myself, to go home with sun burnt skin.  Dominic would have a field day with my sun burn.

“Swimming! Swimming! Swimming!” Liam cheered, jumping for joy with his towel in his hands. He was smiling. “We’re going swimming!”

I took a hold of his small hand, wrapping my fingers around his palm as we left our room. Blake and Allie were just leaving theirs too. They caught up to us just as I closed the door shut.

“Got everything?” Blake asked and I nodded in response. He smiled, the smile he showed reaching his eyes. “Let’s go.”

We set to the elevator and just our luck; the doors opened revealing an elderly man and woman hand in hand as they walked out. A warm feeling spread through me. I rarely see old couples these days, and it’s even rarer to see them holding hands in public. I wonder if I would grow old like them, being with someone I love, and someone who loves me…if I can manage.