Chapter 15: I Shouldn't Have Screamed

"Katniss." I hear my mother speak and her feet move slowly towards me by the click of her heels.
My hands tied behind me with rope. I'm stuck in my spot. What is mother doing?

"I saw you last night." She starts.

"Of course you did. I was in the house -" I retort but mother slaps my cheek to shut me up. I let out a smallmcry of pain and am forced to let the sting run through my face.

"WITH PEETA MELLARK." She growls and my insides twist. I feel my face fall. This is it. "You were held in his embrace and you were kissing." Mother adds, slightly calmer.

My head drops down and a tear falls. "You know that we are enemies with the Mellarks." She confesses. "Because you have seen him, you are to never see each other again." She adds and I try to keep the sobs in.

"I brought you this as a farewell gift." I look up and see my mother dragging Peeta into the middle of the room. She drops him onto the ground with force and I hear him groan.

"Peeta!" I gasp and quickly make my way over to him and nuzzle my face into his neck. Peeta looks up and we share a couple of quick kisses.

"Katniss." He states. "I love you so much." I sadly smile and kiss his now falling tears since my hands can't brush them away.

"I love you so much too." I reply and start sobbing. I bury my head back into his neck and he leans his head on to top of mine. Seconds later I hear a gun click and I scream.

"NO! NOOO!" I exclaim and shield Peeta's body with mine. "Shoot me, not him." I state to her.

"Katniss no." Peeta retorts.

"Please." I beg and mother thinks about it.

"Okay." She finally answers and I turn back to look at Peeta.

"Please don't do this Katniss. I love you too much for you to get hurt." He pleads to me.

"Peeta, I love you so much. No one has ever made me happy as you have-" I am interrupted by a gun shot and I watch as Peeta's eyes roll to the back of his head and he leans forward onto me. Dead.

"NOOO! PEETA!" I scream and the sobs come again. "Why did you shoot him?" I ask my mother but she just walks out with a smirk on her face.

I see the blood coming from the bullet wound and I wail.

"PEETA!" I exclaim and my eyes shoot open. I realise I'm lying on my bed.

I start hyperventilating and then I gasp. I cover my mouth with my hands as I just called out my boyfriends name.

I start crying at the scaring memory of the dream and try to keep awake, not wanting to enter sleep again.

"Please be okay Peeta." I say to the dark world around me. "Please be okay."