Chapter Fifty Two

George and I were one of the first people on the dance floor after the champions had had their first dance

George and I were one of the first people on the dance floor after the champions had had their first dance. Although I'm not sure everyone else on the dance floor was as happy about us dancing as we were. George started every dance by dramatically bowing to me as if we were a lord and lady and I would respond by giving as low a curtsey as I could manage in heels without falling over. Most of the first songs were at a reasonably slow tempo but that didn't stop George and I from doing an uptempo and in no way rehearsed jig. I was surprised I didn't break my ankle but by the fifth jig, I was out of breath that I had to stop dancing and wait at one of the tables until I could breathe again.

While I was sprawled inelegantly at a table, catching my breath, George had slunk off, dragging his brother by the arm leaving Angelina to chat happily with her friends. I watched suspiciously as they left the great hall to talk in the corridor. What were they up to? I couldn't dwell on it for long as Emmy saw I'd been left alone and, despite my protests that I was fine because it gave me longer to catch my breath, she dragged me up to dance with her while Lee went off to get drinks.

If I thought George was enthusiastic when it came to outlandish dancing, Emmy was a new level. Despite having protested at length about having to learn all the stupid ball dances, she was incredibly good at it and didn't hesitate to show off her new found dance moves. I couldn't keep up with her at all so had reverted to doing all the cheesy muggle dances Amy had taught me from all her school discos. I wasn't sure if the Weird Sisters who were the band playing at the ball knew what the macarena was but it definitely didn't stop me from breaking it out and teaching Emmy as well.

"What's this dance called again?" Emmy asked as I was teaching her yet another weird muggle dance.

"It's the dance for Saturday Night!"

"Saturday night? Is this just how the muggles spend their weekend?" She asked, giving up doing the moves and watching me dance like I was insane.

"No!" I laughed, "It's the name of a song. Saturday Night is a song."

"Right, cause that makes perfect sense," she rolled her eyes, "Where's Lee with those drinks? It's boiling in here," she said, fanning herself with her hands.

I stopped dancing and pretending Saturday Night was playing to scan around the great hall for any sight of Lee. I couldn't see him anywhere but I did see Maddie and Kevin from across the dance floor. They were dancing together, if you could call it that. They weren't touching, or moving at all and Maddie looked as if she were about to cry.

"Wait here," I said over my shoulder to Emmy and crossed the floor, squeezing my way through the crowd of couples dancing and fawning over the Weird Sisters until I had reached Maddie, "Hey Madds, Lee's gone to get drinks and Emmy's alone. I'm going to find out where Lee's got to so Emmy needs a dance partner. I'm sure Kevin won't mind," I said, talking too fast to give Kevin any opportunity to answer, although I'm certain what his answer would be anyway, and dragged Maddie back over to Emmy.

Maddie flashed me a small smile once I'd let go of her hand and left her to dance with Emmy.

"Sorry about that Madds but I couldn't just leave you there looking so miserable," I said, hugging her.

"Thanks," she mumbled, "I was starting to wish you'd come and rescue me."

"That's what friends are for," I smiled at her.

"Performing rescue missions?" She said with a smile and a scoff.

"Only best friends perform rescue missions," I winked, "And you know what else best friends do? They go and get drinks when another friend's boyfriend fails to do so," I said, glaring at Emmy who rolled her eyes at me and grabbed Maddie's hand to make her dance with her so she didn't have to talk to me. I smiled and shook my head as I headed out of the great hall to go and find some drinks.

*

On my way to get drinks, just as I left the great hall, I spied Fred and George huddled up in a corner by the toilets talking together in hushed tones. If they were trying to look suspicious, they had certainly achieved it. I looked over my shoulder at a table of drinks and then back at the twins who were completely oblivious to me, far too wrapped up in whatever it was they were talking about to have noticed me. I knew an opportunity when I saw one and I wasn't stupid enough to miss this.

"What are you two up to?" I said, sneaking up behind them and announcing my presence suddenly. I smirked as the two jumped apart looking as far from inconspicuous as possible.

"How come you're not dancing?" Fred asked genuinely, "Thought you'd be up with Newman," he grumbled. From behind him, I saw George roll his eyes but knew better than to ask at this point.

"Kevin?" I asked and Fred's head snapped up, "No. Why'd you say that?"

Fred shrugged and looked away from me.

"Thought he'd want to dance with you is all."

"No, I told him..." I began but trailed off wondering why he was being so weird, "I told him that I didn't like him that way and, well I hope anyway, that he'll just drop it. What are you grinning for? Why are you being so weird?"

"Nothing," He replied far too quickly to be believable and was looking a lot happier than he had been only seconds before. Even George was smirking instead of rolling his eyes. I just shook my head. There were some things I'd never understand.

"If you only come over here to tell me to get back out on that dance floor," George said, suddenly sounding very serious. He didn't give me time to explain I'd only come out here to get drinks and not badger him before he continued rapidly talking, "Well, I think I've popped my hip out, just look," he whined and stuck his hip out dramatically. I frowned at him, trying not to laugh as he'd basically thrusted as a group of 6th year girls came out of the great hall on the way to the toilets. I shook my head slightly, suspecting he was making this all up but before I could call him out on it, he had started talking again.

"But Fred'll dance with you instead," he said, suddenly grabbing his brother by the shoulders and forcing him to stand next to me, "Favour for a friend, eh brother? Eh? Eh?" he said, nudging Fred in the ribs with every 'eh'.

Fred looked as if he was about to elbow George right back but instead shrugged at me and offered me his arm. With a suspicious look between the two, I slowly took Fred's arm, half expecting to be pranked but when nothing happened, I relaxed.

*

"Hey?" Emmy said indignantly as I came back into the great hall, arm in arm with Fred, "Where are those drinks?"

"It's fine," I waved off as the next song was starting and Fred was starting to dance on his own. I laughed as his dance moves weren't as confident as George's and he looked awful on his own but far from embarrassed, "Lee's on it," I shouted over my shoulder as I joined Fred in an odd mashup of all the dances we'd been taught. I could tell people were looking at us weird but I was having too much fun to care.

"What's that?" Fred asked, laughing, watching me dance in front of him and trying to copy the moves.

"The macarena!"