Chapter Fifty One

The day of the much anticipated Yule Ball arrived quickly, and relatively stress free since George had offered to be my date for the evening, as friends of course. Maddie was in higher spirits after Kevin said yes to going with her, even if he did make it clear that he thought of Maddie as only a friend. Emmy wouldn't let on who she was going with but based on the amount of time she and Lee spent with each other, it was a pretty easy guess.

Maddie and I got ready for the ball together in our dorm after lessons had finished for the day. At the beginning of the year, when we received our letters with a list of everything we needed to take with us for the year, the very last thing on the list was dress robes. That had confused everyone until the announcement of the Yule Ball. Sarah, despite being a muggle, seemed to understand that dress robes meant a nice dress so had offered to lend me her best dress. I politely declined as it looked like Sarah had bought it way back in the forties. Amy offered me her prom dress but it was massively too big on me as Amy was at least a head taller than I was. The sloping neckline hung far too low so I declined that offer as I didn't want to flash anyone during the ball. Instead, I had used some of my birthday and Christmas money that I had saved up to buy a dress from Madame Malkin's when I went back to school shopping. Sarah nearly cried when I chose something out and tried it as 'I was growing up too fast'. As I put my dress on, I thought that Remus wouldn't be the only one who would be wanting to see photos.

The dress I had chosen was a stony blue with an embellishment of what looked like white snowflakes covering the majority of the bodice and trailing delicately into the skirt. Maddie's dress was a lot simpler than mine but suited her perfectly. Her's was a pale pink with short, floaty sleeves and tied together with a satin ribbon around the waist. I didn't know what Emmy's dress looked like as she had refused to get ready with us in our Hufflepuff dorm.

"How come Emmy isn't getting ready with us, too?" Maddie asked as she was messing with her hair in front of a mirror, deciding what hairstyle to do.

"Cause she said," I told Maddie while finishing my makeup, "And I quote, 'I don't want to ruin the big reveal of how bloody amazing I'm going to look'."

"Fair enough," Maddie chuckled but her laughter didn't last long as she dropped her arms to her sides, letting go of her hair and pouting, "Oh...How are you so good at this?" Maddie asked, looking over at me as I pinned my hair up with only two pins.

"Sarah expected Amy to be all girly when she was born so bought her loads of Barbies but Amy didn't look at any of them twice so they all ended up being given to me. And what else are you supposed to do with Barbies but cut their hair off?" I shrugged and packed the rest of my hairpins away.

"I'm still not sure how butchering dolls makes you good at doing hair," Maddie frowned, plonking herself down on the end of my bed.

"I didn't have any dolls to practice doing hair on cause none of them had any hair anymore so I had to practice doing hair on myself," I explained, "Also, my hair is short, there's not much I can do with it anyway so you prefect what little you can do pretty quickly."