Chapter Eleven

Lupin was back teaching by the time we had our next defence against the dark arts lesson

Lupin was back teaching by the time we had our next defence against the dark arts lesson. As per usual, we arrived early and took our seats at the back of the classroom and chatted about our plans for the Christmas break while we waited for the rest of the class to arrive.

"You always go back for the holidays," Emmy grumbled.

"My mum wants me to help out with the carol service at her church," Maddie explained but Emmy was still being a grump.

"Yeah, whatever," She grumbled, rolling her eyes, "Just once I'd like for us to have our own escapades together in the castle."

"Escapades? What do you think happens at Christmas?" I said, laughing. Emmy just shrugged.

"Why should I know? Do you know what happens during Hanukkah?" She countered, cockily. She seemed almost happy that her point had been proved when I shook my head, "Exactly! Double standards."

"What are your plans then Allie?" Maddie asked, changing the topic slightly so Emmy wouldn't continue getting worked up.

"Sarah wants me back, I reckon," I answered simply.

"You're leaving too! I'll be here on my own then," Emmy grumbled. I flashed her a small, apologetic smile and her mood seemed to improve, "Well you'd better write, is all I'm saying."

"I'll try," I said but that wasn't enough to please Emmy.

"You'd better write," She threatened, "Or I'll bombard you with so many letters that your house will be filled with owls. So many owls you can't even see!"

"Oh god, please don't. You know I live with muggles."

*

I had grown accustomed to seeing the three girls arrive early to my lessons. I was quite happy for them to take their seats and quietly chat amongst themselves before the class started. I took it as a sign they looked forward to my lessons and not just because they wanted time to talk.

I was busy doing some last minute prep for the lesson as well as trying to keep myself awake. Teaching after the full moon was always a bit of a struggle. If I was being perfectly honest, I had started to zone out and found myself leaning against my desk and listening to the girls' chatter.

They were talking about their plans for over Christmas and were comfortably teasing each other as friends tend to do.

"You'd better write," I heard Emelda Goldstein threaten and point a stern finger at Allie Caswell who was trying not to smile, "Or I'll bombard you with so many letters that your house will be filled with owls. So many owls you can't even see!"

I chuckled lightly as I pictured the chaotic image of a house filled with owls.

"Oh god, please don't. You know I live with muggles." Allie protested and my smile faded. Muggles? That couldn't be right...Her mother was certainly not a muggle and I know for a fact her father- No. This would have to wait, I thought, the rest of the class had arrived.

*

Another Hogsmeade trip was scheduled for the last weekend before the Christmas holidays and of course, our first stop was Honeydukes! I made a beeline to the chocolate frog shelf and scooped as many as I dared into my arms.

"Seriously?" Emmy said slightly judgy with a raised eyebrow, "With the chocolate frogs? Again?"

"What?" I shrugged, "It's because-"

"Chocolate makes everything better." Emmy finished, shaking her head at me but smiling nonetheless.

"I can't help it if it's true," I shrugged and stuck my tongue out at her.

*

Seeing as Emmy was staying at Hogwarts for the Christmas holidays, Maddie and I took the train back to London together. We enjoyed a nice, quiet ride as everything seemed to be quieter when Emmy wasn't around. Not that we'd ever admit that to her. She'd only start rambling on about how it wasn't true, only proving our point. We chatted, read and of course, ate so many chocolate frogs that we felt a little sick by the time the train pulled up at King's Cross station.

I waved goodbye to Maddie and joined Sarah and Amy who were waiting for me on the platform.

"Come here," Sarah said affectionately upon catching sight of me, "You've got chocolate on your face," She said, wiping it from the corner of my mouth with a gentle hand. I squirmed away. I wasn't a child anymore and it was honestly embarrassing, especially seeing as Amy was full on laughing at me.

"Need to wash it off?" She asked cheekily, trying not to laugh so she could actually get her words out. She offered me a bottle of water. I'd eaten so much chocolate that a drink of water was probably going to be beneficial so I gladly took the bottle from her.

I took one sip before I had to spit it out. Amy immediately burst out laughing.

"You put salt in a bottle!" I shouted, "How? It was unopened!"

"I'm too good, that's how," Amy said, smirking, finally managing to stop laughing. She had attracted the attention of almost everyone who was standing next to us. Including the twins. They were grinning from ear to ear. I rolled my eyes at them and they turned to smirk at each other, raising their eyebrows as if they were communicating. Oh no...I didn't want to know what they were planning.

I didn't want to know what they were planning