Chapter Nine

"I'm so mad I could punch him!" Emmy shouted as she joined me and Maddie in the library that afternoon

"I'm so mad I could punch him!" Emmy shouted as she joined me and Maddie in the library that afternoon. I knew immediately who she was talking about. She'd been complaining about Sir Cadogan since he'd replaced the fat lady in the Gryffindor portrait, "Would he feel it if I punched a portrait?" Emmy asked, slumping into the seat next to me.

"Only one way to find out," I said, taking this opportunity to not do my work.

"Research it in the library," Maddie said without even looking up from her transfiguration essay.

"That's not what I meant," I said.

"Yeah, I'm going with Allie's idea. I'm gonna punch the portrait," Emmy said, sighing and lifting her feet up to rest on the desk. Maddie rolled her eyes and continued to do her work, ignoring Emmy's antics. Emmy, of course, paid her no attention and carried on talking, "How you feeling about the quidditch match, by the way?"

To answer her question, I groaned long and loud and rested my head flat on the table. My hair fell forward and covered my face like a curtain.

"Don't remind me," I grumbled into the table. Emmy let out a throaty chuckle that I could have easily mistaken for a scoff.

"That good, huh?"

"Cedric's devised a plan, which I think was actually Kevin's, and he's had us training to focus on Ravenclaw's style because that was going to be our first match," I rambled, "But now it's been changed to Gryffindor and they've got a very different style. Lots more bludgering..."

"You say that like it's a bad thing!" I heard another voice I didn't recognise join the conversation. I reached forward and parted my hair curtain and looked up only to come face to face with none other than the Weasley twins.

"Why are you so happy about this?" I said, narrowing my eyes at their gleaming faces, "I thought you'd want to beat the crap out of Slytherins."

"I'm hurt," who I think was George said, placing a hand over his heart, "There's much more to being a beater than just hitting people."

"But that's the fun part!" The other, who must have been Fred, chimed in with a stupid grin on his face. I let my hair fall over my face again when it became apparent they weren't there for any important reason.

"What do you want?" I mumbled.

"Straight to business then," Fred said, leaning down to rest his face on the table and lift my hair up so I had no choice but to look at him, "My brother and I have come with a preposition."

"And what would that be then?" I said, springing up suddenly so I didn't have to be so close to them.

"We'll go easy on you in the match this afternoon," George began.

"What's the catch?" I said, cutting them off. I'd been friends with Emmy long enough to recognise when people were being suspicious.

"Oh, she's too good for us, brother." Fred grinned, folding his arms.

"If you stop pranking us." George continued but was cut off when I laughed involuntarily.

"That's rich coming from you!" I said, trying to control my laughter, "Don't like it now the tables have turned?"

"Not at all," Fred countered, sounding unreasonably calm, "We just don't want you getting in over your head."

I narrowed my eyes. They were definitely up to something.

"You see," George continued, "We don't think you fully understand what you're getting into by pranking us."

"We wouldn't want this to escalate into a full blown war," Fred said with a smirk. He definitely wanted it to escalate into a full blown war.

"So we're giving you the opportunity to quit while you're ahead." George grinned. I narrowed my eyes.

"Well then boys, I am happy to tell you that I've already got even...and then some," I said with a satisfied nod, "I have no intention of pranking you regardless of the quidditch outcome."

I shrugged and the boys froze. If I may say so myself, I had succeeded in making them look confused. They turned to each other and began whispering. Occasionally they would glance over at me and then go back to their whispering. For the self proclaimed kings of pranking, they weren't the best at being subtle. I could hear snippets of their conversation.

"Wasn't expecting her to cave so easily...think it's a trap?...can't be too careful."

Once they were done 'whispering' to each other, they both turned to face me at exactly the same time, eyes narrowed and arms folded.

"That's exactly what you would say if you were trying to prank us!" George said, accusatory.

"Isn't it also what I would say if I wasn't?" I asked with a tilt of my head.

George grabbed his brother by the arm and turned their backs on me as he whispered, although still loud enough for me to hear: "She's good, got all sorts of mind tricks down."

I sighed and rolled my eyes while they weren't looking.

"Look? Are we done here?" I prompted, "Only Cedric's scheduled some last minute drills and I don't want to be late."

Without giving them a moment to reply, I hopped up, grabbed my stuff and waved goodbye cheerfully before heading off to the quidditch pitch. I could hear Emmy laughing as I left.

 I could hear Emmy laughing as I left