Chapter Thirty Eight

Seeing as quidditch had been cancelled due to the triwizard tournament, Cedric had the great idea of having the would be quidditch team meet up every time we were supposed to have a match just to socialise and catch up with each other

Seeing as quidditch had been cancelled due to the triwizard tournament, Cedric had the great idea of having the would be quidditch team meet up every time we were supposed to have a match just to socialise and catch up with each other. I knew my fifth year was going to be difficult so having a scheduled time to socialise and take a break would be a great way of keeping myself sane.

On the day on which quidditch tryout should have been held, the members of the Hufflepuff quidditch team from last year, and a couple of students who were hoping to try out this year before the cancellation was announced, all met up in the Hufflepuff common room.

"Oi Allie!" Kevin called out as I joined the others in the common room, "Over hear, saved you a seat!"

Kevin was sat on one of the sofas by the fire next to Cedric and, true to his word, had saved a place for me by putting his feet up stopping any of the others from sitting down. He put his feet down as I approached and patted the seat next to him eagerly.

"Thanks, Kevin," I smiled and sat down, squeezing myself into the rather small gap Kevin had left me. His legs squashed up against mine.

"How was your summer? The other parts, not the quidditch world cup cause obviously I saw you there," Kevin blurting, fumbling over his words and looking rather embarrassed.

"It was good thanks," I smiled, "Spent most of it with Sarah and Amy. Had quite a quiet summer, living with muggles and all but the time I spent at Emmy's was a laugh. How was yours?"

"Yeah, alright, not too bad," Kevin rambled, "My brother was home. Graduated last year. You might remember him. Alan? Head boy?"

"Oh yeah!"

"Yeah! He's back. Been looking for a job all summer," Kevin explained and trailed off, "Bit boring really..."

"Did he manage to get one?" I asked, "I don't really know much about wizarding jobs."

"No. He's still not got one," Kevin admitted and the conversation lulled.

"You should totally do it, Cedric!" One of the beaters from last year was saying, a massive grin on his face. He was turning to the others around him and nodding enthusiastically getting everyone else to nod too.

"I don't know..." Cedric trailed off, running a hand through his hair and looking up at the ceiling with a nervous sort of smile on his face, "There are so many other people who would do so much better."

"What's that?" I asked and caught Cedric's eye but before he could answer the beater interjected.

"He's going to enter the triwizard tournament!"

"Really?" I asked, sounding a lot more surprised than I'd meant to. Cedric laughed nervously, "Not that I meant you wouldn't do a great job. You're really talented, Cedric. Honestly, I think you'd make a great champion."

"Haha, thanks Allie," He said, laughing nervously but smiling genuinely nonetheless, "But I don't know if I really will. Not sure I'd stand a chance against some of the others who are thinking of entering."

"So?" I said, shrugging it off, "Doesn't mean you shouldn't enter. If you want to do it, I say go for it. If you don't enter, you'll never know."

"Yeah! Do it Cedric!" the beater encouraged again spurring everyone else to give their support too. Cedric smiled awkwardly at all the praise he was receiving until he started laughing.

"Okay, okay," He said, "I'll do it."

Everyone cheered.

*

I met Emmy and Maddie later that day in the library to go through our charms homework together. Maddie got straight into it, charms had always been one of her favourites, and Emmy made a start but quickly stopped to just stare at it in complete bewilderment. I hadn't even made a start yet, I was too busy lost in my own thoughts.

Since it was revealed that I not only had a living father but a living godfather, and that godfather was none other than former professor Lupin, I was determined not to let my new found family slip away. Remus and I had exchanged a few letters over the summer but since starting Hogwarts I hadn't seen his owl at all during the daily post deliveries. Granted, we had only been back a couple of days but my overactive imagination was overacting about why I hadn't received a letter yet. Perhaps my last letter to him and got lost? Whatever the reason, writing to him now to remind him to send a reply couldn't hurt.

Instead of doing my charms homework, I reached into my bag for a spare scrap of parchment and started writing a letter to Remus.

"Whatcha doing?" Emmy asked in a singsongy voice as she pushed her charms homework across the table so she didn't have to look at it and moved to sit in the seat right next to me to peer over my shoulder.

"Writing a letter," I answered and continued to write.

"Well no duh!" Emmy scoffed, "Who to?"

"My godfather," I answered simply, still giving the majority of my attention to letter writing and not an attention seeking Emmy.

"Your godfather?" Emmy blurted, furrowing her brow. At this point, even Maddie looked up from her homework.

"I didn't know you had a godfather," she said, sounding and looking a lot calmer than Emmy.

"Neither did I," I admitted, resting my quill in the inkpot for a minute to address the new issue of my newfound godfather.

"When did this happen?" Emmy asked slamming her palms onto the table and making fierce eye contact with me.

"End of last year."

"You gonna tell us who it is?" she asked impatiently. I stuck my tongue out at her.

"Only if you ask nicely," I teased and Emmy scowled at me. I grinned, "You already know them."

"Why are you being so evasive?"

"Cause it's fun."

"Just tell us woman!" Emmy whined.

"Okay, fine. It's Lupin," I said simply and picked my quill back up to finish my letter.

"What? When did this happen?" Emmy asked, sounding more confused than she did before.

"When I was born," I shrugged, "Presumably, I had a Christening and my mum chose a godfather."

"Do you have a godmother too?" Maddie asked, sounding heaps more casual than Emmy, who was just staring at me with an open mouth.

"Who knows?" I shrugged.

"Presumably your godmother," Emmy quipped, trying to make me as annoyed as I had made her but I merely smirked at her.

"See? Now you're getting it."

Emmy stuck her tongue out at me.

"Whatever," She grumbled, "Hurry up with that letter, I want to get to dinner early and get a good spot. They're choosing the champions tonight and I want to be able to see."