STORY OF THE CHUBBY 27

I was praying that you and me might end up together...-Ron Pope, A drop in the ocean

‘You remember the last time we did this?’ I asked, popping a green skittle in my mouth.

‘Seems like ages ago, right?’ he said, smiling at me.

 I chuckled and nodded, looking back at the cloudless sky, ‘Except last time it was at night...Alex is still in the hospital though,’ I thought with a frown. It’s been hours since they’d gone and I would be lying if I said I wasn’t scared out of my mind at all the scenarios I was running in my head.

‘Hey, she’ll be okay. Lexie is a fighter,’ Chris said, leaning up on his elbow to look at me.

God, he was beautiful. So beautiful...especially now with the sun shining on him, illuminating him...making him look like such a magnificent being...

‘She is,’ I said with a small smile, trying to shake off the thoughts I was having. He isn’t mine, I thought sadly.

When Chris had said we needed to talk, I got a bit nervous and he must have realized this because he fished out a packet of Skittles, smiled and said, ‘Let’s go outside,’ motioning to the back yard. I was quite calm now but I knew we really needed to address the elephant in the room...or in this case, yard.

‘So you like me,’ he started, lying back down on his back. Way to start it, I thought.

‘Okay, in my defence, I didn’t plan for it...You just sort of crept up on me,’ I said softly, my hands over my face. ‘It’s all your fault actually...you’re the one who insisted on being at my side constantly...so it just happened.’

He was a bit quiet after that and I panicked, removing my hands over my face, ‘But it’s okay. It’s just feelings, you know. They’ll fade away.’

‘No, it’s not that,’ he said, with a smile that looked apologetic. ‘All those times I was talking about Debby...’

I laughed a bit, maybe forcing one out, ‘No...Don’t worry about it. I just felt a bit awful we haven’t really hangout since you heard that.’ Okay and also because of your girlfriend.

‘Yea. It’s been pretty ‘Cecilia-less’ this week,’ he said, looking at me with a smirk, ‘And let me tell you, that’s pretty boring!’

I laughed and shook my head, ‘I missed you too, Edwards.’

He laughed with me and turned to face the sky again, his expression turning serious once again, ‘If I knew how you felt before, I wouldn’t have rubbed Debby in your face. I feel so awful...’

‘Shut up, Edwards,’ I said, sitting up to face him. ‘I told you, it’s alright. I’ve never really liked someone before and now I do, unfortunately or fortunately it’s you. It’ll pass,’ I shrugged. I wasn’t sure it would pass though. I mean, I wanted it to pass and at the same time I didn’t. What was wrong with me? I thought, looking at the almost empty packet of Skittles.

‘What if I don’t want it to pass?’

‘What?’ I asked, my head snapping to face Chris. I wasn’t sure I heard correctly...Maybe I was just hallucinating. He looked a little bit...shocked? Surprised? Something between those two expressions.

He shook his head as he sat up to lean on his elbows, ‘Nothing...I just...nothing.’

I narrowed my eyes in suspicion... ‘That sure didn’t sound like nothing. Spit it out!’

He shook his head, looking a bit frustrated and nervous, ‘Just drop it, okay?’

I did. Because I wasn’t sure I wanted to know if it was in line with what I thought I heard. He didn’t want them to pass? Why? Did he like me?