STORY OF THE CHUBBY 30

I pulled up outside Lee’s home about an hour later. I was feeling a little nervous about seeing Chris. I wasn’t sure why though. Taking a deep calming breath, I got out of the car and headed to the door and knocked.

There was a bit of noise from inside and I actually contemplated leaving and perhaps calling when the door was thrown open and Felicity appeared. She was wearing a green tank top and black leggings, her braided hair held messily on top of her head.

‘Chubby. Hey!’ She greeted with a small smile. ‘Looking for Lee or Chris?’

I gave her a smile of my own, ‘Both?’ Mostly Chris.

‘You just missed Chris. He left here ten minutes ago. Lee’s in his room,’ she said, holding the door wider to let me in. ‘Come in, please.’

‘Thank you.’ I walked into the house behind Felicity who walked to the stairs and stood at the bottom.

I’ve never really interacted with Lee’s sister, not even in school. But I could tell she was a really nice person, very chilled out.

‘Lee get your ass down here right now! You got a visitor!’ Felicity shouted at the top of her voice.

Okay. So maybe she wasn’t so chilled after all, I decided.

She turned back to me with a smile, ‘He’ll be down shortly. Don’t mind my shouting. It’s how I show him I love him.’ With a wink, she retreated to the living room, leaving me a little surprised but amused. She was an interesting character, alright.

Lee came trotting down the stairs, smiling when he saw me. ‘Chubby!’

‘Hey,’ I gave him a small smile.

‘If you’re looking for Chris-‘

I cut him off, ‘Yea. You’re sister told me. I guess I also wanted to talk to you.’

Lee nodded, ‘Well in that case, come to my room. I was just finishing editing a vine. It’ll only take a minute.’

‘Cool,’ I said, following him up the stairs.

Lee’s room, I concluded, looked as if a small tornado tore through it. Some clothes were strewn on the floor while others were on his bed. He had a desktop computer on one corner of his room and a small cooler beside it. He took a soda can from it and threw it at me; fortunately, I caught it.

‘As you can tell, I’m the messiest guy alive. And a bad host,’ he said with an apologetic smile. ‘I didn’t even ask if you wanted the soda.’

I shrugged, ‘It’s okay really. I kinda needed it.’ I said, looking around for somewhere to seat. At least it wasn’t dirty. Just really messy.

‘Oh. Right,’ he said, pushing aside some clothes on his bed. ‘You can sit here.’

I sat where he’d made space and opened the can, sipping slowly, looking around his room as I waited for him to finish.

There were just two posters on his dark blue walls; one of a Ferrari and another one of a basketball player... who I really didn’t know.

‘And I’m done,’ he said clicking his mouse severally before swing around to face me. ‘So, Chubby. What did you want to talk about?’

I thought about it. What did I really want to talk about? I had no idea really. But it all had to do with Chris.

‘What happened with Chris and Ash?’ I decide to first ask. I needed to know this side of the story. You can’t blame me though. I didn’t think I could trust Ash at this point for anything.