STORY OF THE CHUBBY 16

Saturday was actually pretty peaceful, Thank God. I don’t think I could handle anymore drama. It was just me and Alex at home since Dad had gone to work as always and Mum had been called to fill in for a nurse who’d fallen sick.

We’d been watching movies since the time Alex woke up and we had just finished watching The Other Woman.

‘So unfair how hot she is,’ Alex grumbled referring to Cameron Diaz as she filled her mouth with buttery popcorn.

‘Yes it is, Sis. But I think Kate Upton takes this one,’ I tell her heading to the DVD to put another movie. ‘This is the last movie though...You have to tell Dad to get you a Netflix account or something.’

She clapped her hands enthusiastically, ‘I will, I pwomise! Which is tha’ one?’

‘Blended,’ I saw walking back to her bed. ‘You know, the trailer that had Bella Thorne, Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore? Heard it’s hilarious.’

The doorbell rings just as I get in the bed. Who could that be? It was almost five in the evening and for all I know, Mrs Watson had gone to her eldest son’s home and I wasn’t expecting anyone at all.

‘Hold on...’ I said, pausing the movie and heading downstairs. Well, whoever it was would have to deal with me and my messy hair thrown into a ponytail and my grey sweats.

‘Hey Cece,’ said the blonde girl who stood by the door holding a shopping bag in her hand. ‘I come in peace.’

Honestly she was the last person I expected. She looked a little cautious as she smiled at me.

‘What do you want Sammy?’ I asked, folding my arms on my chest and leaning on the doorframe.

She sighed, the smile leaving her face and she looked...ashamed.

‘I was stupid....really...I acted like a bitch, so to speak. The way I acted...I wouldn’t be surprised if you decided to send me on my way and never talk to me again. I was just...I don’t know...shocked maybe? I didn’t know how to react and I panicked because I had never really encountered something like that...’

‘What? So you okay with seeing her now? I won’t allow you to go and hurt her again, Sammy,’ I started, suddenly feeling really angry.

‘I know...I understand why you’d feel like that. I swear if I could go back to that day I’d have never run away...I was stupid. I’m really sorry, Cece...I came here to apologize to you and Alex. Please?’

I looked at her, studying her maybe. Should I? What if she ‘panics’ again? What then? Eyeing her warily, I step back and open the door widely.

She beams and jumps at me, crushing me into a hug, ‘Oh Cece. Thank you. I’m really sorry...I swear I’ll make it up somehow.’

I pat her back, ‘Okay. Let’s go...but if you screw this up, Sammy-‘

‘I won’t,’ she says confidently. I nod at her, close the front door and we head up stairs.

‘Who was a’the door...’ Alex started but stopped when she saw who was behind me.

I cleared my throat, ‘Um...Alex...Sammy’s here to see you,’ I said, stepping aside to let Sammy in.

‘Hey Alex,’ she greets brightly, walking towards where Alex is sitting on her bed.

I see Alex shoot me a confused look but I shrug and take the bowl of popcorn, ‘I’ll go refill this.’

I leave them and head downstairs and go to the kitchen. I wonder how this will go, I think to myself. I hum a random tune as I wait for the popcorn I put in the microwave. Ash hadn’t texted me yet and I wondered whether to be glad or not.