STORY OF THE CHUBBY 46

I sat on the second step of the stairs, watching my sister dance in Tim's arms to a slow song that was currently playing.

She looked happy. Like she was glowing from the inside.

What I would give to have her stay like that forever.

I knew that although she looked happy and all energetic tonight, her health was not at its best and it was evident in the many times she had to take a seat and rest.

I smiled when I remembered the look on her face when Sammy and I woke her up; me holding her dress for her to see.

'Wha's happn'n?' she asked, her eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

'Well,' Sammy said sitting on the bed by her side. 'We're here to get you all glamed up because you're going for prom.'

Alex's eyes widened as she looked at me. 'Pwom? Me?'

'Here's your dress, Sammy's going to do your hair and make up and we're taking you home, Sis. You're getting discharged.'

'Yeah?' she asked, her eyes watering, her grin wide.

'Yeah,' I told her smiling softly at her.

Then she did the most unexpected thing. She burst into tears, burying her face in her hands, and for a minute, Sammy and I stared at her, confused.

'Don't you want this?' Sammy asked gently.

I put the dress by her feet and gently pried her hands from her face. 'Alex?'

'No, no...It's no' tha'. I'm jus' happy...'

'Aw, Alex,' I hugged her to me as Sammy put her hand on her arm. 'Let's get you cleaned up now. You'll look like a princess by the time Sammy's done with you. Okay?'

She sniffled and wiped her cheeks, smiling, 'Okay.'

When Sammy had finished doing her make up and hair (nothing dramatic; her hair was held back with a red clip with bangs sweeping across her forehead, a little eyeliner and mascara, light pink lipstick and a little blush on her cheeks) and she'd put on her red dress and matching flats, Alex was in tears. Happy tears.

'Thank 'u for makin' me feel pweety,' she's said hugging us both in front of the mirror.

'What are you talking about,' Sammy said, her eyes a little teary, as were mine. 'You're the most beautiful of them all.'

Alex laughed lightly. After a minute or two of admiring herself she said,'We look like power puff girls!'

I cocked my eyebrow, 'Huh?'

She rolled her eyes behind the glasses perched on her nose, ' You have on a gween dwess, Sammy 's blue and I'm wed!'

Sammy and I laughed, finally realizing it. 'That's right! You're Blossom,' I said referring to her. 'Although you have Bubble's hair. I'm Buttercup with Blossom's hair and Sammy's Bubbles with Buttercup's hair!'

Alex nodded, 'Exac'ly!'

Sammy shook her head laughing, 'Well, these power puff girls need to jet if we want to get home in time.'

Alex raised one arm high, 'Off to Town'ville!'

Sighing, I continued to watch my smiling slightly at the crow on her head. What prom would be complete without the crowning or Prom King and Queen?

Tim was crowned the King while Alex the Queen. Duh. It was her prom so that was a little expected. But not for Alex. When Lee stopped the music and announced it was time for the crowning of Prom King and Queen an proceeded to announce that her and Tim held those titles; Alex looked like all her dreams had come true at that moment. My heart had swelled in happiness and I could feel a lump in my throat growing. If it wasn't for Chris' assuring arm over my shoulders I might have bawled my eyes out.