STORY OF THE CHUBBY 45

I was nervous.

There was no denying that. My palms were a little sweaty and my stomach was in knots.

Why?

I had no idea. Oh wait. I knew why. Because it was freaking prom. The only prom I had ever gone to in my four years of high school.

I really didn't have experience in what to do exactly... my only experience being what I'd seen in movies.

Also,  Tim wasn't picking up his phone and now I wasn't sure if he'd make it or not.

He'd said he was all in when we explained our prom-for-Alex plan and last I heard from him was yesterday.

Maybe he was driving?

I heard a car pull up outside and Sammy's voice call out.

Damn.

They were here.

The plan was that we go to our school prom for about an hour or an hour and a half then go to the hospital to get Alex all prepped up and pretty and then come back home where my parents, Chris' parents and siblings and Mrs Watson would be waiting with the house decorated to look like prom. Lee was tagging along, too, since Chris thought he'd be a good DJ.

I was nervous because I'd really put an effort to look nice...especially for Chris. I know it wasn't good to dress up for someone but this was Chris. The guy who was popular and loved by a lot of people in our school. A lot of girls fawned over him but he chose me. And I guess I just wanted people to see that he'd made a good choice picking me.

Ugh. My stupid insecurities.

A knock at the door jolted me from my thoughts.

'Honey, you need to come out of your room! Chris and the rest are here!'

I stood up, wondering if I should open the door or feign sickness. Then I heard Chris' voice from behind the door mumbling something to my mum.

Oh no...ugh...I'm not ready. I was freaking 18 years old but I was feeling like I was 12.

Taking one last look in the mirror, I took deep breathes to calm myself.

My hair fell to my side in soft layered waves that the salon had miraculously created when I'd gone there this afternoon; courtesy of my Mum. She'd insisted I should go to the salon and that I needed a haircut anyway.

The dress I wore, a mint lemonade green lace number, hugged my torso and flowed up to just above my knees. I'd been afraid it would make me look "bigger" but I looked okay.

Actually I looked really good. Like... this was the best I've looked in the history of ever.

My make-up was on point, too. Thanks to all those YouTube I had watched. I'd finally gotten the hang of drawing a winged eyeliner, put on mascara and a dab of concealer here and there. The bold thing was wearing red lipstick. I'd always shied away from it in the past but now, I felt like a real woman. Don't ask me why I felt that way but there's just something about red lipstick that makes one more feminine.

'Cecelia?'

It was Chris knocking at my door. Grabbing the black clutch that I'd gotten to match the low heels I'd bought, I rushed to the door to reveal my boyfriend.

'I thought you'd changed your mind- woah!'

I blushed. The look in his eyes was enough to prove that I'd succeeded in looking nice tonight.

'Holy sh- Cecelia... you look... wow,' I actually laughed a little. I felt my confidence growing a little seeing as I'd left him speechless.

'You don't look bad yourself, ' I replied referring to the black suit he'd worn with a tie that matched my dress. He actually looked really really really good in that suit.