STORY OF THE CHUBBY 43

'Fluffy! Come here boy!'

The white Japanese Spitz came running towards me, licking my face.

'Too much kissy, Fluff,' I laughed as I scratched behind its ears.

'At least he gets some,' Chris said from behind me as he walks to where I sit and settles beside me. Angus, a large St Bernard dog with white, black and brown fur, came and sat beside Chris. Angus was probably the largest dog I've ever encountered but the gentlest one among the four dogs that the Halls, Chris's neighbors have.

It was Saturday afternoon and we were at Chris's place babysitting his neighbor's dogs which was something I didn't mind at all. Considering my growing love for dogs recently, I was happy to be doing this. It was also some sort of break from the hectic week that I had had. My routine consisted of waking up early to go to school, and then go to the hospital to Alex until around eight, talk with her if she was up to it or do my homework if she wasn't, then head home. Repeat. Chris had gone with me most days, Sammy and Raul had dropped by twice already and Ash was there today.

Ash and I were back on speaking terms but there was still some strain between us. I didn't hate him or anything; I don't like holding grudges, I just didn't trust him. It would take some time for him to earn my trust fully but I guess he was alright.

Mum stayed with Alex during the night and I guess it helped she worked there, so it was just me and Dad at home. We've been having takeout for dinner for most of the week until Mrs Watson noticed and insisted we join her for dinner which I'm really grateful for. Mrs Watson had visited Alex yesterday, sneaking her some delicious cookies because, I quote, 'Hospital food stinks!'

'Hey Angus,' Chris scratched behind the dog's ears. 'What does a guy have to do to get a girl to kiss him?'

I laughed and pecked Chris's cheek.

'Nuh-uh,' he shook his head with a grin, pointing to his lips, 'I want some sugar right here.'

I rolled my eyes and leaned towards him, closing my eyes as our lips met. It's been a week and I haven't gotten used to this. It gave me a heady feeling and I couldn't get enough of the kisses. Chris's hand moved to my hair and one of my hands reach up to cup his cheek.

When we come up for air, his forehead resting on mine, Chris speaks up, 'So, um, I wanted to ask you something.'

'What?' I smiled up at him, still a little breathless, watching his eyes watching me intently, a little nervousness showing in his brown eyes.

He took a deep breath, 'Be my girlfriend?'

I pulled back to look at him. Okay, it's not like I didn't want this. I'd thought over this the whole week, and over thought things. I kept wondering if he just wanted to... I don't know, be with me without the title. Trust me; Title by Meghan Trainor had been my anthem all week. Just last night, I was singing the song so passionately in my room wondering what it was that Chris really wanted with me.

Now, here it was the question, and I froze. Great job, Cecilia.

'Yea?' I breathed out but smiling widely.

'Yeah,' he smiled back.

'Took you long enough,' I teased with a smirk.

He had the grace to flush, 'Just answer the question.'

I laughed and pulled him back for a kiss. 'I'll be your girlfriend.'

'Gross!'

I whipped my head back to see Caleb, or Conner; I'm still finding it hard to differentiate between them.