0.9

E M B E R

After ordering room service for breakfast, Michael started playing video games with Luke, and I just sat around watching them. They'd offered to let me play, but I wanted to watch them, honestly. I took a few photos, loving every moment. From how Michael would cheer every time he beat Luke to how Luke would bite his lip in concentration, every moment was beautiful.

"Can you go get some Cheetos?" Michael suddenly asks.

"Why me?"

"Take Ember with you."

I look up from my phone where I'd been scrolling through the photos I'd taken. "What?"

"Can you go to the store for Cheetos with Cheeto?" Michael asks, pointing at Luke.

"I'm not a fucking Cheeto," he whines, batting at Michael, who dodges Luke's lanky arms swinging for him.

"Sure," I respond, laughing at the two boys. Luke huffs and stands up before extending a hand to me. I take it, letting him help me up. A spark runs through me at his gentle touch, and I bite my lip.

"Don't take too long," Michael orders, and I see Luke roll his eyes. He grabs his wallet, tucking it in his back pocket before getting his phone.

"Bye," I say, giving Michael a wave as I grab my bag. He waves back, giving me a grin. We walk out of the room, and suddenly, a hard body crashes into mine.

"Fuck!" we shriek at the same time, and I immediately recognize the voice to be Calum. Luke catches me, keeping us both upright.

"Sorry," Calum says, pulling away and looking me over.

"Sorry, too," I respond before realizing that he has a slice of bread in his hand. "What's that for?"

"Lunch," he laughs. "We're out of Vegemite—you have some?" he asks Luke, waving the bread around dramatically.

"Go buy some," Luke retorts.

"You have some, don't you?" Calum whines, shaking the bread some more.

"Yes, but it's mine. Now go away."

"Aw come on."

"No."

"Please?"

"No. Go buy some yourself."

"CALUM!" We hear Ash bellow from his room.

"WHAT?" Calum hollers back.

"DID YOU GET SOME VEGEMITE?"

"NO. LUKE IS BEING A JERK."

"Hey! I'm standing right here," Luke protests.

"Shut up, Luke," Calum tells him before shouting to Ash again, "HE WANTS ME TO GO OUT AND BUY IT EVEN THOUGH HE HAS SOME."

"SHUT THE FUCK UP. I'M TRYING TO GET TO LEVEL TEN," Michael screams from the other room.

"DON'T FUCKING SWEAR," Ash scolds.

"Idiots. I'm staying with complete idiots," Luke mutters, shaking his head.

Calum goes back to hollering, and Ash yells back, "WHAT?" and so on.

As Calum is distracted with shouting at Ash, Luke and I manage make our way past him.

"I swear, they are so hard to be around sometimes," he laughs.

"Seems like an endearing annoyance, though," I giggle.

He chuckles as he replies, "Yeah. Most of the time, yeah."