1.3

L U K E

"I miss you."

"You do?" she asks, her surprise apparent as her brown eyes widen.

"This where you're supposed to say you miss me too," I respond, sticking out my bottom lip. She blushes, her cheeks turning pink as she looks down.

"I'd be lying if I said I don't miss you," she admits, looking at me again. The guys and I have been on tour for a month now, and Ember and I have kept in touch. Currently, we're FaceTiming—for the second time today.

"What would you say if I were to say we're coming up on the American leg of the tour, and we have a break?"

"Yeah?" she says slowly, tilting her head to the side. She shifts around, lying on her stomach and brushing her hair over her shoulder. She props her phone on something, bringing her hands to her face and resting her chin on her hands.

"And I'm going to spend the break with you," I finish, and her face lights up.

"Really?"

"Yes, really," I reply, unable to stop the smile forming on my face.

"That's fucking awesome!"

"Only a few more days," I tell her, making her laugh happily.

"This is amazing news, Luke. Thank you."

"Why are you thanking me? I'm excited, too," I chuckle, looking at her face.

"I mean, you don't have to spend your break with me," she explains, chewing her lip nervously.

"I want to," I reply, giving her a smile. I suddenly realize I can see right down her shirt, and my cheeks heat up.

"What?" she asks, noticing me blushing. "Oh shit, I'm flashing you again, aren't I?" she says, laughing awkwardly and sitting up. "I need to stop doing that."

"No worries. I like it," I say without thinking. My eyes widen, and I suck in a breath. "Shit, that was inappropriate."

"You think?" she responds, raising an eyebrow at me and trying not to laugh.

"Oh shut up. You're the one flashing me all the time."

"Is she naked?" Michael suddenly yells from the bathroom.

"Michael!" Ember and I say at the same time.

"What?" he responds, and I can hear him smiling.

"Go back to your stupid shower," I yell, making Ember laugh.

"It's not a stupid shower, you stupid idiot! It's a smart shower!" he retorts, laughing at the end.

"Stupid idiot. Thanks," I mutter, rolling my eyes.

"Smart shower, though," she says, making me snort.

"He's so weird."

"It's cute," she replies, and I feel a pang of jealously.

"Am I cute?" I say without thinking.

"Pft," she responds.

"What? What does "pft" mean?"

"Pft means pft. Learn your meaningful noises," she replies, a smile playing on her lips.

"Meaningful noises. Meaningful noises? Really, Em?"

"Yes. Like ugh or ehh or agh," she says, making faces as she talks.

"They're all negative noises," I point out.

"What, you want me to make sex noises?" she snorts, making me laugh.

"The fact that you immediately paired positive noises with sex, though," I laugh.

"Oh shut up. You thought the same thing," she retorts, rolling her eyes.

"Touché."