3.4

E M B E R

"Luke!" I gasp as lurch awake. I nearly crash into the doctor who had apparently been trying to get my heart to start beating again.

"Oh thank god," the doctor says, getting off me. He looks panicked, and it worries me that a doctor—a professional—looks worried.

"Ember," Luke breathes, and I look to him.

"Luke." I smile, so happy to see him. A tear streaks down his cheek, and he touches my face.

"I really want to hug you right now, but I don't want to hurt your ribs," he laughs, and I smile.

"I love you so fucking much." I put my hand over his and close my eyes. I feel a tear fall. I don't think I've ever been this happy.

"I love you, too. I was so scared I would lose you," he admits.

"I would never leave you," I tell him, and he leans in to gently kiss my forehead. "And I could imagine spending the rest of my life with you, too."

As he pulls away, his eyes widen. "You could hear?" he whispers.

"Some parts," I reply. "I ran toward your voice."

"Did you hear me?" Mom asks, and for the first time, I realize she's here.

"Oh god, I didn't even realize you were here," I blurt out as my eyes meet hers.

"I'll let that slide for now," she laughs, looking incredibly relieved. "Dad got stuck at the airport and is trying to come home, by the way. I let him know you're okay."

"Thanks. And I'm sorry," I tell her, reaching out to her. She takes my hand and squeezes it gently.

"I love you, baby," she says softly.

"I love you, too, Mom," I reply before looking back to Luke.

"Wait, you only heard me? Everyone was talking," he says.

"I only heard you," I confirm.

"Wow."

Wow indeed.