2.3

L U K E

I wake up to the sound of my phone vibrating. Rushing to grab it, I narrowly avoid dropping it on the floor.

"Hello?" I ask groggily as I finally manage to answer.

"Mate, I know you're with Ember, but you have to get ready. Your flight leaves in, what? Like five hours? I don't know. Just don't miss it," Calum tells me, and I make a confirming noise.

"Yeah. I won't."

"Good. Tell Ember I said hi," he says, and I can hear him smiling.

"Okay. Thanks for the call. Bye, Cal."

"Bye."

He hangs up, and I glance beside me to see Ember looking sleepily at me.

"Calum says hi," I offer sheepishly, and she smiles.

"Mmm hello, Calum. Though you can't hear me," she chuckles, running her hands through her hair.

"How are you feeling?"

"Sore, but otherwise great," she responds, her face flushing a bit.

"Hope you won't hurt for too long," I comment, touching her face and brushing aside a stray strand of hair.

"I don't care either way. I feel like I made the right decision, and the dull pain just reminds me of it," she says lightly, sitting up and covering her breasts with the sheets.

"I'm glad you feel that way," I respond, thrilled that she's happy with her choice. I throw my legs over the edge of her bed, grabbing my boxers and yanking them on before standing up. "I'm going to go make breakfast—don't protest. I'm doing it. And you can take a shower."

"That sounds amazing," she replies with a grin.

"Take your time," I say before walking out of her room.

I don't want to leave her, but at least we have this now—a sort of intimate connection. We might be physically apart, but we won't really be apart.

———

E M B E R

"Call me as soon as you can," I murmur, burying my face in his chest.

"I will. I promise." He kisses the top of my head before saying. "We'll be together again before you know it."

"Can't wait," I breathe, and we hear the announcement that his plane is ready for boarding. We finally pull apart, and he looks into my eyes. I get on my tiptoes to kiss him, and he pulls me close again. I try to memorize how his lips feel against mine, not taking him, or anything, for granted.

"I love you," he whispers as he pulls away.

I blink, my mouth half open in shock. He's said that he might be falling in love with me, but this is the first time he's actually said directly, "I love you."

"Last night sealed it. I love you. I'm in love with you, Ember."

We hear another announcement, and he steps back, his brows furrowed as I still stare at him in shock.

"Bye," he says, clearly disappointed that I haven't said it back.

I start to panic, and I finally find my words. "Iloveyoutoo," I sputter, and he raises an eyebrow at me. "I love you, too, Luke," I say, and he grins broadly.

"See you soon, Em." He gives me a wave before spinning around and walking toward the boarding area.

"See you soon."