2.1

E M B E R

"Hey Ember."

"God, I really hope it's not you," I say, slamming my locker shut.

"I want to apologize."

"You should be glad I didn't press charges. Just leave me alone. You did for months. What's your deal now?"

"I want you back, Em," he begs.

"Everett, look." I spin around, finally looking at him. "Just leave me the fuck alone, okay?"

"I wouldn't be this way if I didn't love you," he presses, and I bite my lip.

I wish Luke were here to punch this bitch in the face, but unfortunately, I can't really bring him to school with me—although, a girl did sneak her puppy into school—wait Luke isn't a puppy, what am I thinking?

"Em?"

"No. If you really loved me, you wouldn't do...what you did."

"I'm sorry," he says, his green eyes imploring.

"God, don't do that," I groan, his gaze making me feel guilty. "I'm going to be late," I say curtly before trying to pass him.

"Please." He grabs my arm, and I feel myself start to panic.

"Let go of me," I say shakily as I feel tears prick my eyes.

"I'm sorry," he repeats, releasing me. I glance at him, meeting his eyes for just a moment before running down the hall. Even Chemistry class is better than being near him.

———

L U K E

"I don't want to leave her."

"She has school, though. How do you expect her to come along?" Michael questions, and I huff.

"I don't know! I just know I like being with her, and I don't like being apart from her," I groan.

"I would make fun of you, but I'll refrain," Michael chuckles.

"I appreciate it," I respond wryly.

"You survived for more than a month, you can survive for another couple of weeks. When does tour end again?"

"It's April now, and it ends in June, so we only have two more months."

"Do we have time between?"

"I think there was like another week in May?" I run a hand through my hair, readjusting my phone against my ear.

"Then you can see her then."

"But I want to be with her."

"Bitch, you are not cancelling the tour for her."

"I wasn't going to," I retort.

"Hmm."

"Oh shut up. You know how you get when you love someone," I counter before realizing what I said. The silence at the end of the line lets me know that he realized it, too.

"You love her?" Michael asks softly.

"I-I'm not sure?" I say uncertainly, my cheeks flushing at the thought.

"I think you do know, mate."

I think about it for a moment. I love being with her, and I can't bear the thought of being apart from her. We don't even have to be doing anything but being together, and I would be happy. Everything about her makes me happy—like nothing else matters but her. 

"Yeah. Yeah, I do know," I finally say. "I love her."