1.6

E M B E R

"I don't think I've gotten your answer yet,"

Luke comments as he trails his finger along the rim of his mug.

"What?"

"About becoming my girlfriend," he responds as I get on my tiptoes to grab my tea from the cupboard.

"Oh," I reply, giving up on the tea for a moment to think about it. What if he meets someone better? But it's Luke—wouldn't getting your heart broken by him be worth it? Is he even going to? What if you get married? No kids. Wait what.

"I can see the gears turning in your mind," Luke jokes, standing up and coming over to me.

"We're not having kids," I blurt out suddenly, surprising even myself. He look at me for a moment before bursting into laughter.

"God, Ember! That was what you were thinking about?"

"Not exactly," I respond, my cheeks burning. I look away before reaching up to try to reach my tea again. Suddenly, I feel a hand grab my ass, and I shriek in surprise. "What the fuck?"

"You have an awesome ass, just saying," Luke says innocently, dropping his hand. I roll my eyes, trying to cover up how flustered I am.

"No touchy," I tell him with a laugh as I finally grab my tea.

"If you're my girlfriend, can I touchy?"

"Maybe," I laugh, grabbing a tea bag and dropping it in my mug.

"What do you say?"

I pause, taking my time pouring the hot water. I can feel Luke's gaze on my face, and I can't stop the smile that forms on my face. "Yes."

"Yes you'll be my girlfriend?" he asks hopefully, and I nod.

"Yes, I'll be your girlfriend," I respond, meeting his eyes and blushing.

"If you weren't handling hot tea, I'd sweep you off your feet right now," he says, his blue eyes sparkling.

"Well, if I take a step back," I joke, putting down my tea and the hot water. I step back from the counter before raising an eyebrow at him. He grins and pulls me into his arms, making me laugh as he picks me up. Wrapping my legs around his waist, I put my arms on his shoulders. He leans closer, pressing his soft lips to mine. I feel him smile against my lips, and I giggle.

"I like you very much, Ember," he murmurs.

"I like you very much, too, Luke."