0.5

E M B E R

I don't know how long I was on the cold pavement, but suddenly, a bright light shines on me. I look up, tears blurring my vision. A large bus is coming down the street, and it drives past me a little way before stopping abruptly. I watch as someone comes out of the bus and runs toward me. I shrink back, scared that my mother was right and I'm going to get abducted and murdered. Or just murdered on the spot.

"Are you okay?" a familiar male voice calls. He comes closer, and I gasp as I see his face in the light. "Hey. What's wrong?"

"I-I," I stutter, my heart beating a mile a minute. He walks right up to me before extending his hand. When I don't take it, he reaches down, grabbing my hands and pulling me up. I yelp as my jacket opens, and his eyes widen as he sees my bare chest.

"Oh fuck. I'm sorry," he says as I quickly pull my jacket closed. "What happened?"

"I-I-my boyfriend," I choke out, and he seems to understand.

"We can take you home," he offers, and he notices my panicked expression. I don't want to be alone. I know he'll come to my house. "Come stay with us," he says, a concerned expression on his face. His blue eyes meet my brown ones, and my breath catches in my throat. I nod wordlessly, incredibly grateful.

———

I just about to pass out as I get on the bus.

"Hey there," Ashton greets me, a smile on his face. "Are you okay?" I nod wordlessly, the words caught in my throat as I look from Ash to Michael to Calum. Luke touches my shoulder, and I jump in surprise, almost letting my jacket fall open again.

"Shit. Sorry. Again," he laughs. "Wouldn't want you to flash them, too." I blush deeply at his words, and Calum looks at me with a quizzical expression. "She's naked," Luke tells them, making me blush more.

"Why the fuck is she naked?" Michael demands before looking me over. "You're barefoot!" he exclaims as if that's more shocking than me being naked. Suddenly, the bus moves again, and I stumble at the abrupt movement. Luke grabs my arm to steady me, and this time, I don't let my jacket fall open. I quickly zip it up before letting out a breath.

"Thanks," I say softly, looking at him. He smiles, his blue eyes sparkling in the light. He's even more beautiful in person, and I can't help but stare at his features.

"Okay. Right. Why are you naked?" Calum asks, and I look at him. His brown eyes study me carefully, and I bite my lip.

"My boyfriend," I say, my voice barely audible, and Calum furrows his brow. I look down, unable to meet his gaze. "He wanted something that I wasn't willing to give him," I finally say.

Before anyone can respond, the bus jolts again, and Luke pulls me back into his chest before I can fall. My breath hitches as his warm body presses into my back.

"Let's sit down," he says, releasing me. He sits on the couch beside Michael, and I look around nervously, not knowing where to sit. "Here," Luke says, scooting over and pushing Michael into the corner. Michael scowls but doesn't say anything, and I tentatively sit down beside Luke, my heart feeling like it's going to explode.

"I'm sorry," Luke says softly beside me when he notices me biting my lip. I nod wordlessly. He puts an arm around me, and it feels like electricity shoots through my body. He pulls me into his chest, and I wrap my arms around him, grateful for the comfort. I breathe shakily, his scent flooding my nose. He smells sweet and musky with a strong boyish smell. It's like a dream, and I could live in this moment forever. I actually feel safe in his arms, and I don't want to leave.