3.2

L U K E

"You look fine. Go already. You're going to be late," Michael tells me as I fix my hair for the thousandth time.

"Yeah yeah," I respond, and I can tell he's rolling his eyes.

"She's seen your sex hair. She didn't leave then, so I'm pretty sure she's not going to leave now," he snorts, and I laugh.

"Oh shut up."

"You shut up."

After a few more minutes, I finally leave for the movie theater. Ember's going to meet me there, and it feels nice to finally be able to take her out on a real date—granted, it's a movie date, but still.

The theater isn't too far from where we're staying, so I just walk along the street. Checking my phone, I see I don't have anything from Ember, and I definitely have enough time to make it there before five.

I see a group of girls coming toward me, and I lower my head, hoping they don't recognize me. Luckily, they pass by, still chatting and not even looking my way. I let out a breath of relief and keep walking. I see the movie theater on my left after a while, and I step inside.

The strong smell of popcorn hits my nose, and I smile. It's been so long since I've been in a theater like this. I check the time again, and it's five before five. Deciding I'll wait for Ember so we can choose what to eat together, I stand near the doors, by the wall.

I wait until five, and there's still no sign of her. I look at my phone, and I don't have any texts or calls. I send her a message.

Everything okay? I'm at the theater now.

I wait for a few minutes, but I don't get a response. I start to get nervous and call her. It rings and rings before going to voicemail.

"Something's wrong," I mutter to myself as I dial Michael's number.

"What?" he answers immediately.

"Ember's not answering her phone."

"Chill, she's probably in the bathroom or something."

"She hasn't answered my text either. And she's never late," I respond, biting my lip nervously.

"Go to her house, then. Or call," he suggests.

"Okay. Okay, let's try that."

"Calm the fuck down," he says with a sigh.

"Yeah. Okay, I'm probably overreacting," I breathe, my heart skipping a beat as a girl enters the building. Only, it's not Ember, and my heart sinks again.

"Call," Michael says before hanging up. I let out a breath and dial her home number.

It rings a few times before someone answers.

"Luke?" It's her mom.

"Hi. I can't reach Ember. Is she at home?"

"I thought she was with you?"

"She should be," I reply, and I start to get a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach. What if something's seriously wrong?