3.3

L U K E

Here's the thing about life. Shit happens. And it happens without any regard to you or your feelings. Shit just fucking happens.

"She'll wake up. I know she will," Rachel says, holding her daughter's hand. Ember's skin is pale. Her lips are almost blue, and there're a few scrapes and bruises on her face. Still, she looks beautiful.

The car hadn't been traveling too fast, but it was fast enough to break a few of her ribs and some bones in her left leg and arm. The blow to her head had been so strong that she'd immediately lost consciousness, and now, she's in a coma. A fucking coma.

"Yeah," I say, my voice thick. I never thought something like this would happen. It's one of those things that happens in movies. That happens to other people. It's almost cliché. No doubt if Ember were conscious, she'd laugh. But she's not.

"She's strong," Rachel says, wiping away another tear.

"I know she is," I respond, staring at Ember's face. She looks so peaceful.

"Hey." It's Michael. "How is she?" he asks softly as he comes over to sit by my side.

"Same," I respond, and he lets out a small sigh. He puts a hand on my shoulder to try to comfort me. But at this point, the only person who can comfort me is Ember.

"Is it okay if the guys come in?" he asks Rachel, who nods.

Michael stands up to go get the guys, and after a moment, he returns with Ash and Calum.

"Hey," they say in sync. In any other situation, they'd scream "jinx!", and everyone would laugh. But nobody is in the mood to laugh right now.

"Hey," I respond without looking at them. I just stare at Ember. I wonder if she can hear us. I wonder if she knows what's happening. I hope she knows how much I love her. 

———

E M B E R

All I remember is the sound. The sound of tires screeching. The sound of horns and people screaming. I think one of them was me. I don't know where I am, but I can hear Luke's voice now.

Everything is white. Am I up in the clouds? But Luke is speaking to me from somewhere.

"Luke?" I call, but I can't find him anywhere.

"Ember," he says, and I spin around. I can't see him. "I love you so much."

"I love you, too, Luke," I shout, but he can't seem to hear me.

"Come back to me," he says, and I can hear how thick his voice is. He must be crying. My heart breaks just a bit as I imagine him with tears in his beautiful blue eyes.

"I'm trying," I reply, walking in the vague direction of his voice.

"I don't know what I would do without you," he says.

"I don't know what I would do without you, either," I say.

"I love you. God, I love you so much. I can't believe how much I love you, Ember. You couldn't believe how much I love you. I don't think I could live without you."

I feel a tear streak down my face. I have to get back to him.

"I'm fighting, Luke," I tell him, even though he can't hear me.

"Ember," he says, his voice soft. "My Ember." I hear him sigh. "I could imagine spending the rest of my life with you."

"Oh my god," I breathe, my heart beating rapidly.

"We're too young now, but I can see myself proposing to you. We're going to have as many kids as you want. Most of them dogs," he laughs. "I can't imagine myself being with anyone else but you. What's the point in not sealing the deal?"

I want this. Spend the rest of my life with Luke? I would love that. I want nothing more than that.

I start running. Luke keeps speaking, but I can't understand the words. I just run toward his voice. I run faster and faster. My legs ache, and I can't breathe, but keep running toward his voice. I see a bright light, and I run even faster.

And then, my heart stops beating.