Chapter fifteen

Hey everyone, it's been a long while, but finally a new chapter.

I hope you enjoy it, even if it's a bit short.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dimitri was restless, that much was obvious to John. He seemed nervous, twitchy, and would glance around ever so often at his surroundings throughout the day as if searching for something, as if he was expecting something to pop out and attack us, but what war the question, or better yet, who?

It put John on edge, made him just as anxious. It made him feel as if horrible things were going to occur, and soon from the looks of it.

John shifted on his bar stool and drummed his fingers lightly on the kitchen countertop, the urge to burst out of his skin and sprint as fast as he can away from all the sparks that traveled along his body due to the thick tension that hung in the air, the cause for this being Dimitri. It overwhelmed him greatly, but John settled himself and shook away those thoughts.

John looked at Dimitri then, let his eyes skim along his broad shoulders that were drawn back tight, tense. John could see Dimitri's muscles clench and work as he cooked; his movements seemed angered, forceful. It scared John, made him worry, very much so.

"Dimitri, what's wrong with you?" John finally worked up the courage to ask and observed as Dimitri froze, his arm hovering over the pan, before practically forcing himself to relax and continue on as if nothing was wrong, but it was no use, John knew something was up with him, he just didn't know what.

"Nothing, what makes you think that there's something wrong?" Dimitri forced out a laugh, attempting to appear nonchalant.

It wasn't working.

John became annoyed somewhat with Dimitri brushing off his concerns and a frown formed on his face. John knew for a fact that something was in deeded wrong with Dimitri, but could not, for the life of hum, figure out why he was concealing the reason for his action.

What is it that was so bad? Why does it even have to be a secret, doesn't Dimitri trust John?

"Well, for one, you've been acting weird all day, so something obviously had to have happened last night after I left you, because you sure as hell weren't acting this way before then," John pointed out, his eyes narrowed at Dimitri as if challenging him, daring him to disagree with his words.

Dimitri pressed his lips together in thin line. "I don't know what you're talking about," Dimitri said, taking up John's challenge.

John glowered at him, fed up with his avoidance. "Dimitri, I know there's-"

"Enough!" Dimitri shouted and slammed his free hand down onto the countertop with a loud smack.

John flinched back, as if he was the one to have gotten hit, and flushed bright red with anger. "Fine, don't tell me," John said stiffly and turned his head away, as if disgusted by the sight of Dimitri, and suppressed the strong urge to cry out in frustration.

Dimitri regretted his actions immediately and spun hastily around, mouth open, words of apology on the tip of his tongue. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to blow up on you like that," Dimitri sighed, the self loathing evident on his face.

He had finally gotten John to accept his feelings, to agree to going out with him, to try and be in a relationship with him, and here he was, trying to screw all that up.

He was pushing John away out of fear for his safety, in an attempt to protect him. But his safety was probably already compromised, because for all he knew, Ralf already knew about John and was targeting him right this moment, planning what to do to him.