Chapter 23 - Disaster

I feel so bad for Ruth, she's literally sobbing in Arthur’s arms. Mrs and Mr Payne pat her back and try to calm her down whilst Nicola seems about to burst out crying, too. I take a look at Liam and he doesn't even seem affected, he just keeps drinking as if everything were fine. I feel this urge to smack him and force him to apologise to his sister because no matter how angry he was at me or hurt because his sister couldn't change the date for him, that doesn't give him reason enough to do this to his sister. He's not only hurt her but also humiliated her in front of everyone. I can't believe he can be this cruel to his own sister. Doesn't he feel sorry for her? Isn't he a little bit concerned about this whole situation?

I feel like an intruder but I still go to Ruth with the idea of apologising for Liam. I know it's not my place to do that, I'm just the girlfriend and I just met his family, but I don't know what else I could do. When I get to the table where Ruth is still crying I can hear what she says, and it breaks my heart but also makes me angrier.

"I tried to change it but the venue is only available that day," she sobs. Some of the words are unintelligible but I figure them out thanks to context. "Of course I want him to come!"

"We all want him to come, Ruth. I'm sure he knows you don't mean it, he's just—" Mrs Payne can't finish the sentence and I clench my fists because I know exactly the reason why. 

I can’t ignore that Liam is hurting his family, that he can’t see past his own aching and feelings. A human being should be able to consider other’s feelings, especially his own family’s. But in Liam’s little world he is all what matters. His feelings, his desires, his whims.

“He’s drunk and he doesn’t know what he’s really saying, Ruth,” I speak and they all look up to see me. “I bet that once he sobers up he’ll apologise.”

“He said it because he means it! That’s how Liam is when he’s drunk,” Ruth sobs and I don't know what to say. I’m also pretty sure he meant every word he said but I really think he shouldn’t have said anything at all or at least not when he did. “It’s all my fault, I should’ve tried harder to change the date even if it had to be somewhere else,” she cries out and Arthur looks in physical pain.

“But love, it’s your dream to get married there. We talked about it,” he reminds her but she shakes her head stubbornly.

“What’s the purpose of getting married there if Liam’s not gonna be with me? He’s my little brother!” I have to work hard to control my breathing as I see Ruth losing it because of this.

I look around and notice all the guest standing awkwardly and looking like they are dying to leave this place as soon as possible. In a corner I see Liam drinking and flirting with another girl and I feel rage in the pit of my stomach. His sister is crying her eyes out and he is flirting? I can’t believe him!

I was feeling bad about this because I thought it was all my fault, that I pushed him towards this but now I don’t regret my words. For a moment I believed he was trying, that he was maybe changing a bit but that was all an illusion. He’s still the jerk and even worse because family is something sacred yet he treats them like this. He’s still the beast I first met, he was just pretending to be nice.

“I’m gonna change the date!” Ruth blurts out and I turn to look at her with my eyes wide in horror.

“What?!” we all exclaim in unison, no one believing this. “Ruth, your wedding is next weekend. You can’t change it now!” Nicola intervenes trying to get to Ruth but she pushes them all.

“I’ll change it! It’s been causing trouble all this time and I should’ve done it before,” she insists and I know she’s trying to sound sure and confident but her voice breaks at the end and my heart breaks for her.