Chapter 2 - The Contract

After I agree to this deal Dad calls Simon, leaving me alone in the kitchen so I eat his chips as well. It’s the least he deserves after putting me in this situation. There was no way I could say no and he knew it. Sometimes I hate that my dad knows me so well and that he knows I would do anything for him. Sometimes I just wish he could put himself together and be the man he was, instead of this lost version of himself. But it’s been eight years, I doubt it’s going to happen. I honestly hope he’ll make it, this time, and I don’t mean the most successful album out there, but at least an album that sells so he can keep his job. And this girl is very talented, so for her own good, I hope Dad can make the best out of her talent. I know Dad has the potential to help her, he’s done it before.

When he comes back he’s wearing a big smile and I kind of feel excited. He is a dreamer and he always gets excited, but this time there’s something different in his eyes. This time he really believes he can do it. I hope that’s enough.

“It’s settled. You’ll meet the boy tomorrow, but first we’ll go to the office so you’ll sign a contract. To protect yourself. You can ask anything you want there and if you don’t like something you can refuse,” he tells me but the look in his eyes begs me not agree to whatever they propose.

“Dad, just so you know, I won’t sign a paper if it doesn’t state clearly that I won’t have sex with him. I’m not a prostitute. One thing is fake dating, another very different is to sell myself.” Dad look horrified for what I’ve said, but I’m just being bold.

If that contract doesn’t clearly say that under any circumstance I won’t have sex with this rockstar, then I’m not signing it. I understand that fake dating will mean I’ll have to go out with him, probably kiss and pretend we are a couple, but all that in public. We don’t even have to touch each other in private. And that boy better understand that.

“Of course not! I wouldn’t allow that, Belle. I’m just asking you to control him. I know you can do that.”

“Basically, you’re asking me to be his babysitter,” I say and he laughs but doesn’t deny it.

Oh well, I guess I’ll have to look after a kid, then.

•••

I walk by Dad’s side as we head to Simon’s office and I’m nervous. I think I have cold feet about all this. I feel like I should run back home and refuse to this. I already have a job and I don’t care if they say they’ll pay me even more for pretending to date this guy, I don’t need that.

Okay, I do need the money. Dad and I need the money. But I’m sure there’s another option.

But I’m already here, I already said yes and Mum always said that if you give your word, you have to stick to it. You can’t turn back because it’s not convenient for you or because you’re afraid. You have to be a honourable man or woman.

So that’s why I walk inside that office with my head held high, like my mother always taught me to be. Simon, the tall man with thick eyebrows and dark hair, in a dark trousers and white shirt, stands up and walks around his desk to greet us. He shakes hands with Dad then looks at me. I smile politely.

“So you must be Isabelle. Louis speaks highly of you all the time,” Simon says and his smile is approving. “I’m sorry you have to do this, I really want to apologise for Liam, but I do agree with Louis that it’s better if we set him up with someone who won’t fall for him or be dragged by him. He says you’re a brave girl and you can keep up with Liam. I hope Louis is right,” the CEO carries on.